Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dropped A tuning? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tualatin, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm playing tuned down to dropped "A". Can anyone offer any guidence on what kind of rig will hold up? Can 10's handle such a low freqency reliably? I've have my 4strg set up with a five string gauge and a bartolini humbucker, will it need to be lowerd into bass to compensate for bigger string? It seems the amp is the biggest obstacle here, so that's why I chose this forum.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    It's pretty subjective, what is reliable, and what kind of sound correlates to "handle". There are some 10's that willl do a great job and some that will fry quickly.

The trade off has always been, low or loud, and if you are planning to have a rig go lower than normal, you will be needing more power than normal to cleanly reproduce it at the same volume level as a higher sound.

I would suggest you consider bi-amping if you are going to do extreme lows- that way you can send the low frequencies to subwoofers specifically designed to handle them. It won't be any louder, but it will keep you from frying things.

3. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    Would car audio subwoofers work with a proper crossover wired in line? If not. what subs would you recomend.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I suspect that an Accugroove Whappo Jr or Tri 210 together with a Whappo Grande would be an excellent extended range system (probably an El Whappo by itself, also).

The Schroeder 21012 or 3101212 should sound pretty good with a low 'A' bass as well.

5. could fix the nut to match and get a 5 string set... it would be a cleaner sound no?

Makes sense but not sure

6. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    I just had eastside guitar repair make me a bone nut to fit a 130 string. The string barely fits through the bridge.

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    A .135 B should help tremendously. My cab is an Ampeg PR410hlf, and I have an Ibanez SR3005, with the .135 B on there, the sound was ****ing flawless. I have a .130 on there right now, I havn't tried a drop A on it with that on yet... I only played in drop A a few times, just for fun/experimenting.

8. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I played in the band Distraught's Son tuned low to high ADADG (ADADGC on my 6) for over a year playing through nothing but 10s and never had a problem. Genz-Benz 410T-XB and 210T-XB cabs.

Before that, we used to tune the same way, but a half step down from that. My GB rig handled the low Ab like a champ.

9. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I like car audio subwoofers just fine but they take a LOT of power. Mine are 92db sensitivity (and they are fairly sensitive as car audio subs go), so I push about 500w into a pair (2 ohm load) to balance against a single 96db 12 for highs, split at 150hz or so. I only suggest this path if you enjoy the experiments.

It's a lot better to split your signal at the preamp level while it's 1v than doing it at the speaker side where it wastes a lot of power as heat and costs more.

10. Jim York

Jim York

Oct 27, 2004
    Go to http://www.audioroundtable.com/BillFitzmaurice/ and talk with owners of Tuba 24 and Tuba 30 subs. These boxes have extension and efficiency that is simply not available in commercial electric bass cabs. They are DIY but there are guys who will build one for you if you can't roll your own.

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I use a modulus 5 string with a drop tunner on the B string. I run it through either 2 bergantino 322's or a epifani 410 and 212. The cabs are 10s and 12s and I have no problems with the lows, or mids and highs for that matter.

I power them with a crest CA9. Great amp for the lows.

12. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    My band plays in 2 tunings, Dropped A and Dropped G, I've found that to play notes that low and have any ammount of punch to them you need to look into getting a large power amp, and bi-amping. My current rig includes an 18" SA Subwoofer and a 2x10 cab.

13. Hehe, I tried drop A with the big fat .135 low B on my old Rebop. My MAG250 (15 inch speaker) wasn't too bad at producing it.