1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dropped bass - what to check after?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Hi,

Yesterday with a little tiny person help, my bass fell from it's stand and landed string side down pretty hard. The volume/tone pots are scuffed up and there's a nice crack in the enamel between the volume pots now :|

The bass still seems to still work fine and sounds pretty much the same...everythings tight and I can't see any cracks in the wood.

Is there anything else I should check before taking it to a luthier to give it the once over, I'm not sure how to check if the neck's out etc?

Thanks for any advice,

Andy

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Check the headstock and/or the scarf joint. Check the nut, and the string tree, and check the tuners to be sure they turn completely without binding.
    If it has a front-mounted outputjack, and was plugged in, you should check the jack.
    Check that the neck is still screwed tightly down.
    Other than that, I think it's mostly cosmetic.
    :)

3. Wow fast answer, thanks :) I did already go around the bass with a screwdriver and a keen eye to make sure all seems tight, it does.

Can't say I know where the scarf joint is though :rollno:

And cosmetic or not, this accident has the added "benefit" of increaseing my GAS for a replacement 4-stringer tenfold :D

Thanks again,

Andy

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    On some basses, the neck consists of a main construction most of the length of the neck, and then near the top, you'll see that a piece that comprises the headstock along with the top couple inches of the neck is glued up. I "think" the purpose of that construction is to give the headstock a bit more strength because the tension is pulled laterally instead of like a bow. I'm not 100% sure about that part though.

So, if you look carefully at the back and/or side of the neck, a couple frets south of the nut, you may see the line of the joint. If the woods match well, and the joint is done well, it may be tough to see. Or.....you may not have a scarf joint at all.

I guess if you have already given it a look over, and it didn't stand out, then it is OK in any case.

Good luck!

:)

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021