1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dropped D and broken strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KekChoz, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Since two years I play, I broke two strings, always the E string. With my band, we change a lot our tuning between standard tuning and dropped D. Does it affect the fragility of the string if I tune and detune a lot or my two broken strings have nothing to see with it?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Where does it break? I was testing a lot of strings, putting them on and taking them off, and I found they weakened around the tuning posts. I actually broke a Fender .055.

3. I heard that removing and adding tension is not good for strings. I haven't really drop tuned in a while, but I used to drop my E to D for many songs. I felt that it lost its zing faster than the others, although I wasn't sure if I could attribute it to that.

4. the two times, it broke near the bridge

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ahhh! Then you probably have a bur on the saddle.

6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    every time you put on new strings, take a pencil and rub the graphite end inbetween the saddle were the string runs over. It acts as lubricant.

7. thanx a lot! I tried this, hope that my new string will not break again!

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Makes for a long trip to Santa Fe. :D