Dropped D tuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PasterofMuppets, Jun 9, 2001.

1. K..I wasn't sure where to post this, so if this is the wrong place, lemme know. My band wants me to play a few songs in dropped D tuning, and there's only one problem. I have no idea how to get my bass to this. I've always played with it in standard E tuning, and I've never taken lessons or anything, so I don't know how to change my tuning. I have a tuner, but I don't know how to get it to tune to dropped D. And before anyone says it, I know, I should learn to tune by ear. =P Until then, can anyone gimme some help with this?
  2. tune down your E string until the 12th fret sounds the same as the 5th fret on the A string.
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    This is easier:

Hit the harmonic at the 12th fret of the D, and the 5th fret of the E. Detune the E until you don't hear any waves. Make sure to let the harmonics ring together, though.
  4. This how I do it. Make sure you bass is in tune. In dropped d every thing is 2 frets low then every thing on the E string. So just make sure your 7th fret on the E string sounds like the open A
  5. i do it like freaky fender does it, but tuning by harmonics makes it more in tune. if you have a chromatic tuner the just detune the string untill it says its a d. i myself have a regular tuner and their is a mode where you can select everything tuned to double flat. try that.

Oct 3, 2000
    Drop D is great to use and I find it gives some of your riffs more depth. If you don't have a tuner then I always found to do it by ear was to use the 7th fret on the E-string and an open A-string and continue to adjust until they sound the same. this is the same as when you normally tune by ear with the fifth fret. My advice is if your going to change around you tunings the best thing to do is by a tuner cos they aren't that expensive and the save so much trouble
  7. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Get your tuner, fret the g-string at the second fret. And tune it down until the tuner says "g". Repeat this on every string (fret d at 2nd fret. tune down until the tuner says d. etc. etc.).

8. Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    Yeah. I just used the 7th fret way of tuning. I like using drop D. It makes it a little easier playing octaves and 5ths.
  9. Doomguy

Jun 12, 2001
    My band goes back and forth between tunings often, so here is my quick and EZ way. You know how you can play an open E and the 7TH fret on the A string and get a nice sounding chord? Well, hit the open E and the 5th fret on the A string and Tune the E down until it sounds like the previous chord, then repeat this procedure with the A and D strings, and then use harmonics for the G string, this takes about 20 sec.
  10. thats not really drop D. Drop D is tuning only the E string down a step.