Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dropped D

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassist_punk, Oct 31, 2002.

1. ACK! I'm gonna rip this tuner a new one. Guys help me out here I cant tune my bass to dropped D, someone please give me a hand here, there's gotta be an easier way than using a tuner. I might be doing it wrong with the tuner too though, is there a "special" way to do it with the tuner? Help me!:eek: :confused:

2. fufu

fufu

Aug 18, 2002
    Put your finger on the 7th fret on E.. (b) and match it to the a string.. If that's what you mean.. Because I don't know what you're talking about.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't understand neither.
    Maybe your tuner doesn't go down to lowD and gets confused.
    Do it by ear, using the 5th fret harmonic on A string and 7th fret on E string.

4. My tuner has an option to tune in flats - so you hit that twice, get the double flat symbol, then you can just tune like normal - ie, it will say "E" but its really tuning to "D"

However there isnt any reason a tuner shouldnt tune to D

Unless you have it in guitar mode and not bass mode.

5. Buy a five string and you don't need to detune!;)

Or tune by ear to the D on your A string as Jazz Ad says.

If it's a chromatic tuner, I don't understand your problem - it should work.

6. if i need to d tune(which is rarely) i just hit the 12th fret harmonic on the A string and the 7th on the e string. pretty sure its the 7th hard to remember without a bass in my hands.

Bassis

7. Amen to the 5-string idea

8. As long as all of your other strings are in tune, I just hit the D String (3rd String) and drop the E String (1st String) to a lower octave until the sound waves stop wavering. Then if you hit the 1st and 2nd string it should make a 5th chord. If you bar up the neck (finger going strait across the frets) it should make fifths going up the neck too. If that doesn't work, just use the above mentioned methods.

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm thinking you may have a cheap guitar tuner that can't read a dropped D tone. The best bet if you want to use a tuner is buy a chromatic tuner that reads every tone or a tuner especially for bass guitars that can be used for flat tuning as suggested above. Korg used to make one that I liked. It seemed indestructable. The very best tuner I had was the Korg rack tuner, but that may be more than you want to spend.

I had a habit in the past of collecting tuners. Turns out that my favorites are chromatic tuners. Then you can tune your bass almost anyway you choose.

I just threw out the new Musician's Friend catalog. Too bad or I could suggest some of the newer tuners on the market that sounded good to me. I have a Sony I like that also has a metronome.

10. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    A slightly easier way is to do 12th fret harmonics on the D and E strings, then you have both hands to tune down the E until it matches

11. buy a better tuner or buy a 5 string both will good ideas, but I would go ahead and splurge on the 5 string so you do not have to tune to a dropped D or any other note for that matter.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Just some friendly input... you should learn more about tuning your instrument by ear... for example, lets say your stuck on the moon with your band, but you forgot your tuner at earth... are you not going to go on the moon stage because you don't have a tuner?! I should certainly hope not. Learn all 12 notes and where they are on the neck and how each string relates. With standard EADG tuning on the E string, the 5th fret is an A. On the A string, the 5th fret is a D. On the D string, the 5th fret is a G. Get it?

13. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    sorry if its been said, i didnt read all the replys.

Hook up your tuner, and rather than tuning the open E string to an E, tune FRET 2 on the e string to an E. This will mean that the open E becomes a D, 1 step (or 2 frest) below an . Wallah!

14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    How about a Hipshot de-tuner?

15. But with that you still need to actually tune it to D, first. ;)

I think pretty much everything's been covered by everyone else here, although I do have one gripe about my tuner...
    It used to be able to register a dropped D, and now it doesn't, so before I got my hipshot Xtender I had to hit the 12th fret harmonic on the E and tune that down to a D. It was a little annoying, but really not all that hard to do.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If you can find one and are willing to spend the money, I recomend buying a strobe tuner. IMO they are more accurate than the cheaper tuners you can buy today.

17. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Strobe tuners are awesome. I also have a tuner program on my computer (I use it when recording). It has no problem determining notes and is very accurate.