Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dropped from Y-Rock 2005

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 12, 2005.

1. I received an email this morning saying that the organiser didn't think we were good enough at the gig he saw us at. This was our first ever gig. AT our second gig, people were coming up and saying how we were as good as any of the other bands, one of which was signed. I'm really pissed off. Apparently we 'weren't tight enough'. This is something that's worried me. At the gigs I've been noticing that our drummer's timing isn't very good, and this has also been ntoiced by other musicians in the audience(the main audience don't tend to notice these things, musicians do though). So, I've proposed we get our old drummer back, although he is a cock, he is a bloody good drummer, OR we get another guy I know who is also very good. For some reason my band picked a beginner of only 9 months(without consulting me, or auditioning the other people i knew) to be in a band where everyone else has been playing nearly 5 years. He just isn't good enough, and has cost us our place at one of the biggest music events in York, with record company representitives present. :bawl:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Have you seen School of Rock? Remember, it's about the music and sticking it to the man, not becoming a corporate sellout :smug: !

What's your present drummer like as a person? Is he aware of his timing issues and doing something to work on them? Are you Dewey or Theo?

All of that may not help at all... but it's a great film anyway!

Wulf

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A band being "tight" is about everybody working together and putting in the time and effort together - it's about playing together a lot!! And is certainly not going to come after just a few gigs.

Picking on individuals is probably only going to make it worse and lead to a split! :meh:

4. But I don't get consulted on a new members of the band, but I am expected to organise all the gigs. The rest of the band are anti-social too. They never talk to other bands. I'm sick of it.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Well, it sounds like your problem is with the entire rest of the band, and not just with the drummer's timing issues.

If they don't consult you on membership in the band, but expect you to book everything, then they are treating you like a lackey.

You have two choices--either quit the band, or be content being their "Do Boy."

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like a split is imminent...due to "musical differences" ...:D

7. I'm gonna lay down the law at band practice on sunday.

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    No offense--but if they are changing drummers against your wishes with none of your input heeded, I don't think you have any "law" to lay down, Nick.

Unless, of course, there is more to the story, which wouldn't really surprise me, either...

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    it sounds like they really dont care what you think in the matter.

10. Isn't this the same "band" who were dictating to you which bass you could and couldn't use? :confused:

If so, I don't think they would be much of a "loss" to you. ;)

11. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    let me get this straight. You have TWO public gigs as a band, and you're wondering why you're not invited to a musicfest??

Unless you are incredible musicians, and it sounds like not all of you are, then you must expect to "earn" your way to better gigs. that's the way the system works.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Nick, they're not putting the toilet seat down for you. It seems that they really don't consider you a "honcho" in the band. Move on.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The gospel truth right here, in the above post . . .

When you get older and more experienced, you won't even be able to comprehend how you even considered the possibility of playing a musicfest after only two gigs. Go do about 50 gigs, then look back on what you were after two gigs, and laugh to avoid the embarassing memories of what you used to be.

And remember this: when you have the big boys check you out before you are really prepared, that image sticks in their minds, and even after a year or two of improvement and getting your performing legs developed, they won't give you the time of day based upon their mental image of what you were previously. Sad, but true. My band plays all of the top venues in Ohio except one, and that is because they refuse to book us based on what the band looked like four years ago when 75% of the guys were different. All of the top places love us, yet we can't get into this one place based upon the previous image.

Play some dive bars for awhile and earn your wings. Cut your teeth on the lower-food chain venues, and work your way up to more professional venues. If you don't, you're dooming your band before it ever really gets off the ground.

14. Nick, don't be discouraged. You guys probably aren't ready to play a music fest. My band's been together for 3 years, with a drummer who's been playing for 9 years... I still feel we can work on our tightness and improve a whole lot. 2 shows is not a lot, don't worry. Just keep practicing and it'll come with time. Record company execs, especially, will not be very impressed with a band that isn't 100%. You need a fan base and you have to have your stuff together. It'll come, don't worry!

15. We were invited to play because I contacted the organiser about perhaps doing another event, completely charity based. He said he couldn't do two festivals, but if we wanted to play at Y-Rock and get some charity donation collectors to come down we could play. We got to play because he liked the fact I was trying to do something worth while. Also, many of the bands that are playing are bands that I have never heard of(and yes, I've heard just about every band in York). I feel we'd have given the big bands a good run for their money.

16. Btw, the band has been around nearly 2 years. It was only when I was recruiter into the band that they started to get gigs. If we'd stuck with our old drummer we'd have easily been able to play at Y-Rock, and win it too. :-( How should we go about grovelling to the old drummer to get him back?

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There you go. Doesn't mean you were qualified to perform on the bill. When they finally heard you, they said "no freakin' way are they ready for a musicfest".

Most inexperienced bands feel that way, simply because they don't know better. I've seen many "battles of the bands" over the years where the worst band thinks they were "robbed" and blew away everyone else. Wisdom comes with time, you're young, can't build Rome in a day. Go play lots of smaller gigs and develop your craft, young grasshopper.

18. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I don't know where you live, but where I do there's probably 200 bands chasing 30 venues, of which only 5-6 are considered GREAT venues.

Same with these festivals.

For any band that's played out twice to be surprised that they aren't in the elite is a little odd.

there are other bands out there more polished than you, more known than you and with more of a following than you - which is what music fests are all about (bringing in people!) - same with bars.

you have to get tight and build some noteriety. That all takes time. Remember, you have a lot of competition out there.

19. You know, you guys seem to think we aren't good. We're better than a lot of the bands that are on the bill, far better. Don't EVER put my band down.