1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dropped Mesa Bass 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jun 22, 2007.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    So the other night my idiot drummer (who we recently fired) moved my head while we were loading for a show and put it in a slightly precarious location.

It ends up falling and you hear some stuff sounding like it's breaking inside. The center two tubes fell out.

I take the thing apart, make sure everythings tight, warm it up. One of the tubes that fell out lost it's ability to fire up, so I remove the pair, it works fine with 4 tubes. I remember a while back someone on TB said they used their Bass 400 for a leg of a tour with only 4 power tubes.

Well, it worked fine at the show. I cranked it a little extra and apparently drowned out the whole band with my 4x10. hah!

I'll still have to take it to a tech and KT-88's aint cheap.

2. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    WOW!!!

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ide make that guy pay for damages.

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Yeah...and people "worry about all them tubes!!!!". When something is as well designed and built as a Mesa Bass 400/400+, it doesn't really matter.

5. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    I had a 400+ a few years back that some drunken guy thought he would move without asking me. It was sitting on top of a Roadready cab and he spilled the whole thing on concrete. It was about 30 minutes till showtime and I was pissed and worried it wasn't going to work. Well, it did work fine and I'm sure it was my imagination but it almost sounded better after the fall. Those things are built like tanks.

6. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    There was a story here about a 400+ tumbling town a flight of steps and taking out a 100 year old solid core door and the thing still worked. Not even a broken tube.

7. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    ok
    here is my story
    it is not a 400 but a 65 fender dual showman
    and this happened about 1976
    after a show it is loaded into the back of a datsun wagon

first
    at the time this happened the amp is mint

the last turn on the way back home the driver/my guitar player takes a left and is heading up a steep hill

fifty feet up the hill the back of the wagon pops open
    only the showman falls out
    hitting the pavement doing 30
    and hits the top left corner
    the amp rolls down the street

a lot of puking takes place

we take the amp home
    and plug it in
    it works
    and i still use that amp today

and i left that top left corner damaged to this day

8. No this can't be right.... these are the fragile, hard to maintain, expensive to upkeep tube amps we're talking about. ;-)
    My old tube amp had taken a few tumbles in its time(15 yrs on the road) & ALWAYS WORKED FINE TOO!!

9. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I used it again for a loud show last night with 4/6 tubes. It didnt melt or anything.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021