Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dropped my Palm Pilot!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lowfreqguy, Nov 6, 2002.

1. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    The screen is broken. I can have it repaired or spend the $$ towards a bigger,better PDA. Mine is a Palm IIIxe and I use it a lot. Please post your opinions/reviews of the higher power Palm products or the competition like Compaq, etc. TIA

2. British

British

Sep 5, 2002
    I have a Samsung SPHI-300, combination Palm OS and Sprint PCS phone in one device. I love it.

3. I did the same and the cost of repairing it was something outrageous like $150 fixed fee. At that cost it's almost worth going out and buying a new one.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wasn't that a Joan Armatrading song - "Drop the Pilot!!" ;)

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ohhhh...........that kind of "palm pilot."

6. The 20-gauge steel Kensington case in which I keep my m500 was one of the better ways I've spent $30 in my life. It looks really cool, too.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Advice from another Palm user:

Don't spend too much on a new one. These things are obsolete within months anyway.

I have one to handle the basics, it was inexpensive, already outdated. So why spend more?

Use saved bucks, buy bass stuff!

8. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I agree on going low cost to replace this one. I'm probably not in a position to buy more bass stuff anytime soon, as I just brought home a SCHWEET Brubaker NBS-1 fretless fiver last week. Anyway, low $$ palm it is. Thanks for the advice. AC

9. You can find a used IIIxe on eBay for peanuts. Other brands and models as well.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Anbody try one with embedded Linux? (yes Allodox, I know, Linux is for beotches.....etc.)

11. Whatever happened to the pen and note pad?

:confused:

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    how does that work?

13. If it can run WinCE, it can run an embedded version of Linux. There's been a lot of development on embedded Linux products, but I think that's mainly been for stuff like MP3 players, cell phones, etc.

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I agree... I get by just fine on pencil and paper ;)

15. I misplace notepads and pens all the time. I'm a little more careful with my Palm.

Also, a notepad doesn't have an alarm on it.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

or a handy portable version of the kama sutra ;)

17. Or DopeWars, for that matter. :D

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

An associate of mine does have the Kama Sutra on his Palm Pilot.

You have to be in a situation where a Palm is going to work for you.

I used to take notes for dates and meetings, they get buried under all the other notes, I'd miss meetings and miss out on $$$$. And chances to buy more bass stuff.

The Palm has an alarm tells me to do stuff. If it said jump off cliff at 11/08/02 at 2:34PM I'd probably be halfway down before....

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    People still play that?! I remember wasting hours of class time in high school with that game on my TI-83.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How does that work?:confused: