Dropped my Palm Pilot!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lowfreqguy, Nov 6, 2002.

1. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    The screen is broken. I can have it repaired or spend the $$ towards a bigger,better PDA. Mine is a Palm IIIxe and I use it a lot. Please post your opinions/reviews of the higher power Palm products or the competition like Compaq, etc. TIA
  2. British

Sep 5, 2002
    I have a Samsung SPHI-300, combination Palm OS and Sprint PCS phone in one device. I love it.
  3. I did the same and the cost of repairing it was something outrageous like $150 fixed fee. At that cost it's almost worth going out and buying a new one.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wasn't that a Joan Armatrading song - "Drop the Pilot!!" ;)
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ohhhh...........that kind of "palm pilot."
  6. The 20-gauge steel Kensington case in which I keep my m500 was one of the better ways I've spent $30 in my life. It looks really cool, too.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Advice from another Palm user:

Don't spend too much on a new one. These things are obsolete within months anyway.

I have one to handle the basics, it was inexpensive, already outdated. So why spend more?

Use saved bucks, buy bass stuff!
  8. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I agree on going low cost to replace this one. I'm probably not in a position to buy more bass stuff anytime soon, as I just brought home a SCHWEET Brubaker NBS-1 fretless fiver last week. Anyway, low $$ palm it is. Thanks for the advice. AC
  9. You can find a used IIIxe on eBay for peanuts. Other brands and models as well.
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Anbody try one with embedded Linux? (yes Allodox, I know, Linux is for beotches.....etc.)
  11. Whatever happened to the pen and note pad?

12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    how does that work?
  13. If it can run WinCE, it can run an embedded version of Linux. There's been a lot of development on embedded Linux products, but I think that's mainly been for stuff like MP3 players, cell phones, etc.
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I agree... I get by just fine on pencil and paper ;)
  15. I misplace notepads and pens all the time. I'm a little more careful with my Palm.

Also, a notepad doesn't have an alarm on it.
  16. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

or a handy portable version of the kama sutra ;)
  17. Or DopeWars, for that matter. :D
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

An associate of mine does have the Kama Sutra on his Palm Pilot.

You have to be in a situation where a Palm is going to work for you.

I used to take notes for dates and meetings, they get buried under all the other notes, I'd miss meetings and miss out on $$$$. And chances to buy more bass stuff.

The Palm has an alarm tells me to do stuff. If it said jump off cliff at 11/08/02 at 2:34PM I'd probably be halfway down before....
  19. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    People still play that?! I remember wasting hours of class time in high school with that game on my TI-83.
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How does that work?:confused: