Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dropped my Rumblefish!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petch, Jan 2, 2002.

1. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Oh, the pain! I was jamming to some tunes tonight and giving the wife a bass lesson. She was playing my Peavey G-Bass and I was jammin' on my Reverend Rumblefish. The f*#!#!g strap slipped off and my baby hit the floor just as hard as it possibly could! The body is cracked on the top, side, and back and a chunk of phenolic fell off. I am absolutely in AWFUL PAIN! This is not my idea of how to start the New Year. Dave Siff or dancehallclasher will understand. What to do? Suicide won't help, only money or mind-altering substances. Nah, those won't help either. What would help is if Joe Naylor tells me he still has some old style black bodies left for a situation just like this. OH THE PAIN!!! Coulda woulda shoulda had straplocks put on! AAARRGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

2. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    OUCH !! Sorry to here that. You've gotta be just SICK. I know I would be.

The only good thing that could possibly come from this, is, when you finally get that Sadowsky or Pedulla that you'll get someday, I'll bet you'll put straplocks on it before you put a strap on it the first time. I buy straplocks or at least the buttons before I leave the store, on the occasion that I'm bringing a new (or used) bass home, and I've NEVER dropped one.

Hope it works out for you.

Dave

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    this might be cruel at a time like this but....post a pic:(

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man. i am sorry to hear about your pain. The only thing I could recomend if it is as bad as it sounds, is call or look around and see if you can get a replacement body.... Is the actual wood cracked??? Is it a posibility you can get it re-painted??? does it still play? This is making me want to go and buy strap locks tomorrow.. i only I weren't snowed in at my house... :(
    oh well.

5. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Snowed In ?? In South Carolina ? I've heard there was a storm down south. Just how bad is it ?

Dave

6. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Good argument for strap locks.

7. Amen to that, Nanook. I saved my Ric's several times from visits to the floor before I wised up and chucked straplocks on it. One of the best investments you can make...

8. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    yes straplocks will help next time.... boy have i got a story about strap locks... one night after band practice me and the lead guitar player were outside talking, i wabted to see if he could sling my bass around his head, since he can do it with his guitar... well, half way through the sling the strap lock screw puilled out of the body sending the bass flying onto my gravel driveway.. didnt hurt it, messed up 2 string, but thats it(thank god). it flew a good distance and hit reallly hard, freaked me out... and at that moment i knew ibanez would be my brand..

sorry to hear about ur bass man..

9. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    ......i just spent a good 5 minutes trying to figure out what in gods name you sig means I.'.I.'.Nakoa.
    what the hell is that all about?

10. /me skreems in horror

well, at least now you can get one of those nifty colored metal tops on your new one...

11. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    It's not suppose to mean anything, I don't think. It's just funny.

12. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    straplocks dont always work ive had the end pin lock on the strap come off a few time right before a show (the bolt wasnt on tight enough) and actually one time during one of our songs it came off and i had to play the rest of the song holding it like an upright (it was a washburn headless steinberger type) and another time i did that flip over the shoulder and the screw broke off in the bass (luckily i saved it from completely smashing the ground by grabing the stap and stoping it from falling completely, got away with a small scratch near the imput) but ive learned my lesson on that

13. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    :( Soooo sorry to hear that man....I'm in pain just reading that....
    I'm scared to play my bass cuz I don't have strap locks....:eek:

14. if we are already talking about straplocks which ones are the best?

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have always thought that a set of schaller straplock is the best 9$ i have ever spent.

16. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I don't mean to sound like a politician, but I feel your pain! What are your plans for the instrument? If it were me, I'd set it aside and get a replacement; if the Rumblefish has structural damage, it'll never be (or feel) the same. And straplocks are the way to go.

17. Petch,
    Man, I am so sorry. I've had the strap fall off several times while playing my Rumblefish but luckily, no damage yet. After reading your story, I'm definitely getting straplocks. No use messin' around.
    Hang in there, man.. the pain will subside.

18. i saw my teacher drop his f bass, that was not a prety sight:( you get a that sinking feeling in your stomach, makes you feel sick

19. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Another vote for Schaller. If the spring-loaded pin disengages, the metal collar on the straplock still holds the strap button securely.

The Dunlops scare me.

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I like the Schallers better. They are indeed more secure. I've had Dunlops that I thought were locked (even felt like they snapped), but weren't. False confidence is not a good thing. :) I don't quite have the coordination to remove a Schaller one-handed, like you can with the Dunlops, but that's OK since I hardly ever take mine off the bass.

There are also some ups and downs to the way the piece attaches to the strap to both. The Schaller screws on, so pottentially it could come unscrewed (hasn't happened to me). The Dunlop uses a locking e-clip, which should be secure. BUT the thickness of the strap end is somewhat limited. I had a hard time putting them on my padded Carvin strap when I got it. Had to shave down the leather a bit!