1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dropped tuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by b-strung, Jan 11, 2012.

1. b-strung

b-strung

Feb 18, 2010
    LA
    Is is possible to make a 4 string comfortable to play tuned in CFBbEb or should I suck it up and get a 5 string. Also will a longer scale bass facilitate this tuning.

2. deshi00

deshi00

Mar 26, 2010
    columbus ohio
    we play a few songs In drop C - i tune CGCF, kinda close, but im sure anything is possible. The bass just has to be properly set up for that tuning.

3. Get some heavy gauge strings. Maybe even take a light gauge 5 string set and just don't use the G.

4. Get a 5 string.....all that screwing around with tuning is a p.i.t.a.

Shift your hand position to an Eb or D starting point in a millisecond.

5. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    That's what I would do, it's only half a step up from BEAD which plenty of people use on 4's.

6. rockerjeff

rockerjeff

Apr 25, 2009
    Cupertino
    General Manager, Halo Custom Guitars, Inc.
    There are a lot of 4-string basses with 34" scale length.
    There are a lot of 5-string basses with 34" scale length.
    There are quite a few, but less, 5-string basses with an even longer, say 35", scale length.

So, lots of basses are tuned lower than what you're aiming while using the same scale length as your 4-string (assuming your 4-string is 34").

Like ourworldisgrey said, just get heavier gauge strings and make sure to setup the instrument so the neck is still fairly straight and the intonation is on.