Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dropped tunings, perfect string gauges....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fozzy, Jun 10, 2003.

1. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    I use 5 string bass, i want downtune full step down to ADGCF....
    What string gauges will you suggest for dropped tuning like this...???

Tnx!

2. it depends on how do you like the tension on the strings and also in your bass..

Some might tell you to get some very heavy gauge strings but I'd suggest that you use standard. Specially if you want to get that clicky sound. Seriously, no kidding.

3. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Need nice tension, NOT the rubber bands.... :)
    Respect..

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What gauges do you use for BEADG, and do you like the tension you get there?

If the answer to the latter question is yes, then the optimal solution is probably to go slightly heavier across the board.

Based on the fact that there tends to be about a .020 gauge difference between two strings tuned a fourth apart (5 semitones), I estimate needing about .004 difference for each semitone you move.

Therefore, in your case, you want .008 heavier - so if your E is currently .100, look for one at about .108, and if you can't find that, try .110 or .105, depending whether you want to try a little heavier or a little lighter.

Wulf