Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dropping a Gibson EB Humbucker in a MIJ Fender Parts bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dirk, Dec 25, 2005.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'm making plans to drop one of the Gibson EB-size humbuckers into an 80 MIJ parts bass. The body is a rear routed Jazz bass special (which is actually P-shaped), and the neck is MIJ jazz bass. I'm going to fill the j-pup space, rout the neck pup position, refinish the thing, and drop in the Gibson 'bucker. I know the bassist from Grand Funk Railroad had a similar setup in his J Bass. How does that sound for a fun project?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I did it for a MIM P-Bass a la Billy Sheehan. Butted it up against the neck and dropped in a Dimarzio Model P. Only bass I regret selling... she was a sexy sounding beast.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The problem I found with putting an EB pu in is the magnet spacing does not line up with Fender string spacing (wider).

On that note I replaced the original mudbucker in my Gibson with a Dimarzio Model 1 with an in and out of phase switch. Much more versatile than the original 68 mudbucker. The mudbucker was woooof city and not much top end or punch.

4. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I just wish DiMarzio made that pup with a silver cover.