Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dropping lower than D or C

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ketch27, May 8, 2001.

1. Ketch27

Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    IL
    For a 4-string, is this bad? I've messed around with with dropping it to B and even A once. I don't know if this is bad for the bass or not...

2. not really.. unless you leave it like that for a long period of time. If you like to keep it like that, I'd listen to what the people who know what they're doing here say.. hehe :)

3. If you are going to play in B or A or some other low-ass tuning like that, you may want to have your bass set up to play in B or A or some other low-ass tuning like that. Pete plays his four-banger in B and he's doing alright.

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, my band does some Rob Zombie covers that require us to tune to those low frequencies. I bought a cheap 4-string and set it up to play in B. You know - truss rod and heavier strings...

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's some hard learned advice. If you tune down THAT much, you may have better results with heavier guage strings. You may also find that you need a pick to give your a sharper attack on big, low tuned looser strings.

Another very important factor to consider is can you speakers handle the lower tones without turning out mud? As a general rule bigger speakers handle those low frequencies better. For example a fifteen inch speaker will handle really low frequencies; some even go for eighteen inch speakers. But those big speakers cost a lot and weigh a whole lot. Plus you'll need an amp that can drive those speakers.

Lastly, ask yourself what you are attempting to achieve with deep down tuning. Can you achieve it some other way, say with effects such as an octaver pedal or a combination of effects from a multi-effects pedal?

And lastly, does deep down tuning improve the music you are playing? Is all that is involved in downtuning and the bother and frustration as you experiment pay off with a unique, interesting sound that characterizes your band's music or is it actually having a negative impact on what you play?

In the end, downtuning is just a way to serve your music. If there is a better way to serve your music, do that. If down tuning is the best way, go for it. Let us know how it turns out. Maybe you can teach us something from your experience.

6. Ketch27

Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    IL
    Today I was messing around with it dropped all the way down to A, and it sounded like total garbage. My strings arent that heavy. My amp isnt that great. I'm just trying to play some 5-string stuff (yes, some KoRn. dont shoot me..)
    I'm probably gonna save some money up this summer (just got a nice job) and buy a new 5-string and amp. Maybe even an effects pedal.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's probably your best bet.

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I agree with JT(well when do i never agree with "THE MAN" :D) go for a 5!!! Or Hell, do what JT did and go straight to 7!! you can have a lower F#!! LOL :D

DM:D

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D