Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drowning Pool toxicology report

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Sep 27, 2002.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1309875212/pagename=/RP/ALLSTAR/article.html/fid=340296

No drugs in his system. Heart defect did him in.

I never listened to Drowning Pool, and I couldn't even identify any of their songs if I heard one.

What I do remember when he died, though, were comments like:

"no, he screwed himself up to get high, i'll bet. what a loser. my heart bleeds, believe me."

"I bet it was speedballs... everyone dies off of them"

"good riddance"

Classy stuff.

So, to everyone who likes to make grand sweeping statements about someone who has passed on, let this be a friendly reminder from your neighborhood Bassmonkee that things aren't always what they appear to be, and you can't judge someone based on your perceptions of them.

He was just a guy (right around my age) who had a problem he probably wasn't aware of, and it killed him in his sleep as he was living his dream.

Just remember to have all the facts before you start kicking the dead into their graves.

And, make sure you get regular check ups from your doctor....

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I'm not glad he's dead, but I am glad to hear that he didn't die of drugs or alcohol, if that makes sense. I mean, it's bad enough when a fellow musician dies, but when it comes back that he or she was being irresponsible with drugs or alcohol, it turns it into that and takes away from what his or her life was about, you know? It's kind of sad that the first thing that comes to my mind when someone mentions Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin or even Steve Clark, is that they died of overdoses. It's not really the memory you want people to have of you.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    thanks for posting that Bassmonkee.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hategear, I agree with you 100%. I was very upset when I found out that John Entwistle died of drugs. I was seriously hoping he wasn't. I think a lot of people just said that the dude from Drowing Pool OD'ed just because of him being a young guy in a Nu-metal band. Not to say he didn't do drugs, but I thought it was disheartning that people just assumed that was the cause of death.

5. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Him dying because of a heart defect makes his passing even sadder to me. When someone dies of an overdose I feel for their family, but; anyone who does hardcore drugs knows that they are gambling with their lives. The singer from Drowning Pool did nothing wrong except not get regular check ups. I am his age and I do not go in for physicals either. Very sad.

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Thanks for the post. All you heard on the rock radio here in Dallas was how he did not do drugs. Everyone admitted he drank, but he didn't even smoke pot. I didn't know him or anything, but I was saddened by his passing.

7. I agree that it is sad that so many (myself included) assumed that it was an overdose of some kind that did him in. But, I must also say that that would be a much more expected cause of death in someone his age.

I had a heart attack at the age of 36. While sitting in the ER, the first thing the Doctor asked was how much cocaine I had done. It took me about two minutes to convince her I don't do coke. She later apologized for being so persistant about it, but that in more than 1/2 the heart attacks in people my age, coke was involved. Mine was job stress, 3+ packs of cigs a day, and a diet of too many ribs and potato salad.

Go see your doctor.

8. Bassr64

Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    N.E.Tx
    Thanks for posting this Bassmonkee, my senitments exactly. I met him afew times in Dallas and he was
    a great human being, and a friend to everyone he met.
    Shame, shame people.
    R.I.P. Dave Williams

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Great post bassmonkee. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I HATED DROWNING POOL. And I hated how the singer presented himself, but that by no means states that I hate Dave Williams (RIP). I didn't really know Dave, I just knew the persona he had on stage, so I think it's a tragedy that he died. Also, just because I didn't like the band doesn't mean that they didn't deserve sucess, personally it does make me a bit jealous, I'm someone making the big bucks on music. So the fact that they had there sucess taken away from them so abruptly really saddens me. It also pissed me off that he didn't OD, etc, yet many instantly assumed he did. I personally don't do drugs/drink/etc... but I am still a musician. If I were a famous rock star and I died, the same responses would come up... I bet it was heroine, blah blah. So I hope we all can learn from this that until we know the truth about something as major as death, we should keep our mouths shut.

10. .

I said that one!

but yeah i do feel bad for being wrong... but cmon, im srue you all thought int eh back of your head that it was a large possibility

11. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Hate is such a strong word, that should not come out of someones mouth. Dislike is more like it. I was discouraged when I read that Dave had passed on. I was also discouraged of some of the comments that were made when we all found out that a talented, yes talented, muscian had passed on. Yes it may have crossed our minds that there might be a possibility of drugs being involved. I was one of them. But when that thought entered I had hoped it wasn't the cause. You are all musicians trying to make it in this business. When or if you do, people, young people will look up to you. You all have your image to portray. That image is up to you. The majority of the public may not like that image, but you will be respected if and only if you have good clean fun. I do not play an instrument, but my boyfriend does, he told me about this forum so I took it upon myself to learn about his interest. I have enjoyed what I have read so far and the job the moderaters have been doing on keeping it clean and innocent for the younger generation. I also would like to state that I respect each and every one of you for the courage you all have to go out there and make something out of your talent. I am now off my soap box and would like to say to Dave's family and bandmates, that I am truely sorry about their loss. May he rest in peace.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Not really. I like to wait for the facts to come out and then form an opinion. To each his own.

I know I don't know what I don't know. Makes forming opinions a lot easier.

13. I think another assumption is being made here.

A heart condition is something that can creep up at any time. Did anyone hear of the St. Louis Cardinals' (baseball) pitcher (can't remember his name) who died in his sleep in Chicago because of a heart defect this year? Do you think he wasn't getting regular check ups? Unless a doctor is looking for something specific, a heart defect isn't something that's always easy to detect.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, that certainly is a shame, then. what a time to go, just when things are starting to look up for you.

good point on that last one, there.

15. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark

Apr 12, 2002
    I noticed the individual who posted "good riddance" hasn't responded yet to this post. How do you feel now?

EDIT(JT) : name calling. usage agreement. read it.

16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    first: you all need to calm down...

Second: i dont see what the big deal is...

-being FAT
    -being a "ROCKSTAR"
    -being YOUNG

all lead to a "drug" related death...

i admit i instantly thought about that, good thing the report came back to prove me (and most of the people) wrong. there... "big" deal.

and about the "heartless bastard", he is entitled to remain quiet and annonymous if he wants.

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Well said, Brad.:)

18. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark

Apr 12, 2002
    So...It's all right for him to remain annonymous, but NOT okay for me to be upset at his remarks? One action is okay...one is not?

All I know, is Dave had friends/family/fans who probably would kick Mr. Anonymous' ass if he said it to their faces. Yeah...now we see who's badass Mr. Punk.

19. Emerald_gasH

Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000
    TO,ON,CA
    good to hear that drugs didn't do it, he had some sense...still sad nevertheless

talk about creepy...soon as i opened this thread, AIC's "Rooster" started playing on the radio, which hasn't played it for like months...

20. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Well, for one, I am really glad that it wasn't drugs. His family would be hurt even more, people would be shocked, etc etc. No matter what, though, I am sympathetic to all the family, friends and fans of his.

RIP Dave Williams