1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DR's in australia

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by theunknowndude, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Hi all,

just wondering if its worth importing DR's (specifically red devils or black beauties)for my 5 string - BEADG? have looked through everywhere in adelaide and the only places I can find are interstate or overseas (interstate obviously best to go with).

will strings be damaged at all in freight or should they be ok?
    I want some red devils as they seem to be describing everything im looking for in my bass sound (plus want the red on black look with my bass!)
    any ideas or suggestions?
    plus don't REALLY want to pay heaps but I guess if I have to I have to,... from what I hear these strings should last a while so the price is worth it?

2. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    dude.. they will be FINE... I buy all my strings from OS and I've never EVER had any issues...

3. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Wow, $59.99 for D'Addario XL70 5 string from Basscentre.com.au. I hope that is not in USD, these sell for $19.99 in the US.

I use Black Beauties and have used Red Devils. Both are very strings, good sounding and they last long. Over here in the US, I paid $40 for my 6 string set of Black Beauties and $32 or my 5 string set.

As for shipping, there should be no problem, neither Guitar Center nor Sam Ash stock these strings in the Raleigh,NC area so I have to order them online and have them shipped to me.

Just Strings.com Maybe you can get some of your mates to put in a large string order from Just Strings, here is their shipping info.

4. hmmm thats interesting,..
    have to double check what the conversion rate is...

cos a 5 string set for Hi beams interstate is close to 100,...
    if price works out ok could be about the same for red devils from overseas where as I cant seem to find red devils at all :(

not very happy all the usual bass shops in town only really have Fender and Ernie Ball bass strings and thats about it!!!

and yeah for some reason strings seem very expensive in aus,...
    pack of guitar strings is 20-30 dollars, pack of bass (well for 5 strings anyway) seems anywhere from 60-100 depending on brand etc...

5. I can get DR's locally for under $60 no probs. It's just markup.

6. far out,...

is that a set of 5 or 4 strings?

7. joelyb

joelyb

Feb 1, 2007
    sydney australia
    the company that imports dr strings into australia is in sydney.i'm pretty sure they are called national music or something like that. depending on the set you want you can get them at a reasonable price for the quality of string. i use fat beams on my jazz deluxe V and they RRP at about $110. i usually get them at about 65. i would reccmoend starting a good relationship with a good local store or even an interstate one and you will usually get well looked after if the store knows what is good for them. PM me if you want the details of some good stores in sydney.
    cheers

8. thanks,...

pm me please as anything would help even though im in adelaide guess as long as postage isn't too much it can't hurt!

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Try here:-

http://bassguitarstrings.us/store/home.php

I've been using them for years - ever since I had a falling out with the importers of my favourite Ernie-Ball strings. The service is good, the price is right, and they sell DR's.

10. no worries

ended up finding out my normal guitar shop can order em in and got them and put them on, theyre soooo awesome, especially that .125 B string... black beauties look like theyre gonna be my string of choice for now!

11. Mark up in Aussie dollars is just stupid. I buy all my gear through the states & most stores are happy to post to you at cost. Elixer 5 string sets in aussie retail for about AU$130 - $140 when you can get them posted to your door from the good ole USA for about AU$60.

You mite tell I have a gripe about aussie mark ups! you should try forking out AU$380.00 for double bass strings that sell in the US for AU$100.

Same goes for pick ups, bridges, all part related gear. Ebay (USA) is great for source for parts & prices & some good shops also.

Also, shipping parts, I have never had any problems.

Cheers

Rusty (Melbourne)

12. ahh well a set of 5 string black beauties cost me around AU 100 which I didnt think was too bad considering,...

probably could have gotten it slightly cheaper but was easier to just pick it up from the same store that has looked after me since I got my bass from there,... theyve chased up quite a few things and given me a bulk discount, cant complain :)

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021