dr's lo-rider's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Dec 4, 2001.

1. i am thinking about buying these to replace my Dean Markey cryo's. i want a smooth slightly tight tension and a thick but sleek bass feel. what are your opions for strings of nature and how do the loriders sound.
  2. They work for me !
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    They work for me too.
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Over the past few months, DR Lo-Riders (stainless) have become my strings. I am no longer interested in even trying any other strings.

I would say that they are more than slightly tight. (I use .045-.130's on a 34" scale 5-string bass).

As far as feel, the stainless Lo-Riders feel more like nickel roundwounds than stainless (to me). I quit using stainless strings because of their rough feel, but then I tried the Lo-Riders and they won me over. The nickel Lo-Riders (which I've never tried) must be very smooth.

Now, for the sound - The lower notes have a growl and punch that really cuts through a mix, but the higher notes seem to smooth out and don't become harsh, but still provide plenty of snap if you like to slap and pop.

Oh, here's a bonus - The stainless Lo-Riders have been lasting (me) about twice as long as the nickel roundwounds that I was using before.

Give 'em a try...
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've got Lo-riders (steel) on my Fender RB5. Its about the best string I have put on that bass and I've put around twenty different sets on it. They get my vote.
  6. geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I tried a set of lo-riders after all the hype on talkbass and they totally live up to it. I'm switching to them exclusively. They make my jazz bass sound exactly like a jazz bass should. It's the same for my stingray. I doubt I will ever try a different set of electric bass strings.
  7. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    You won't be disappointed, the Lo Riders fit the bill.
  8. what guage should i get for the slightly tight tension. a tension that is easy to play on but feels solid.
  9. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I would just go for the mediums, 45-65-85-105.
  10. the dr site says lo-rider's are stiffer then hi-beams so should i get 45-65-80-100 cause ease of play is what im looking for and i dont want a heavy E and A slowing me down and ruffing up my fingers.
  11. I always wanted to try DR's but aren't they a little more expensive then other strings? But I guess if they are as good as everyone says, it must be worth the few extra dollars.
  12. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    sure, you could try those, whatever you think you'll like

they are a little stiffer than high beams, but if your action is nice and comfy, they play well

they also are about the smoothest stainless round you'll find, they aren't too rough on the fingers

if you think you'd like a lighter A and E though, go for it :)
  13. well too bad guitar center didnt have the guage i wanted stupid asses so i got the 45-105. didnt seem that thick so im pretty sure it wills till be easy to play man i didnt know these strings dont have silk ends and the ball end isnt striaght like most its looks like its been on a bridge a little bit but these are new strings
  14. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Hmm, I never really noticed the ball ends. I guess I sling em up so quick nowadays, I just rely on the tension to work it all out. That is, unless I hear weird rattles or buzzing from the bridge.

I love the all metal look. I think it looks classier when it's on the bass. No frayed fuzzies on the headstock or anywhere else.

Let us know what you think. :)
  15. its bright the depth is not as thick and the tension isnt even that tight i would say these are my 2second favorite strings to the blue steels but it might become number one in a couple of weeks when the brightness goes down and i can get my natural woody tone. plus it buzzes when i try to play full figured notes cause my tech did a set up im pretty sure he did a good job and that it is impossible to get this low action with out alittle buzz.
  16. that's my guage, unless i feel like slap-pop in which case i get 40-60-80-100. if you want to get your exact guage, www.juststrings.com is great.