Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DRs Marcus Miller Series 5-String Set

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gfab333, Jun 30, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I just tried out a 5-string set of MM Drs. They sound great! I put them on my F-Bass BN5, which usually sounds like a Jazz Bass anyway. They had great overall tone, high end, and sustain. They worked well for both fingerstyle and slapping.

They were discounted at $35 at the local music store. I'm going to be checking out how long they last.

Has anyone else had experience with this set?

2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Gfab....is the B string exposed, tapered or regular? I would like to try a set of these out too.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I used the Marcus 6 string set on my Modulus Q6 and liked the tone a lot right out of the box. But man, did it fade quick! After 3 gigs, they were shot. And strings usually last me 2 or 3 months and I gig a LOT!

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Armybass,

the entire set has the regular windings down at the "bridge end". and that's a topic of another post - taper vs. regular wound. I've been using GHS Super Steels on the F Bass and they are taperwound. I like the tone, but there was something that was bugging me about the B string. It wasn't as taut as I'd like it, tensionwise, and I felt that it could have been a little more punchier. Now, that I have the DRs on, it solved the problem, albeit a minor one. There's something about having more mass of the string contacting the bridge saddle that I prefer.

It's interesting to note that there's no silk wrap at the "headstock end" of the DR strings. It's just tapered wound. I played it on a gig last night and they played, felt, and sounded great.

Boogiebass's comment concerns me because the DR box says the strings should retain the new sound for a longer period due to DR's compression winding process. I'll be watching (and listening) closely to see how long they last with my playing habits.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    IME DR strings have a settling period of a couple weeks where they lose some of their initial brightness, but then they stay there for a long time. that's why i will never use another set of their nickel strings - they sounded perfect during the settling period but "settled in" way too dull.

are the MM strings nickel or SS?

6. I bought a set of the MM 5's @ GC yesterday, and stuck them on last night, they solved every probalem I had with my Fender 7350's(Loose B-string, dull sounding after a few weeks, dead ater a couple of months) I crimped, and cut the strings off, and they soud terrific...They were what I liked, being SS, they would give me my thumpy, growling tone, and having a .125 B, they'd give me a tight, clearer sounding B.

7. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I bought a set of these (4 string though) a few weeks ago and I absolutely love them. I used to use Rotosounds, and by now, they'd be getting quite dull, but the DRs still sound great. They are exactly what I was looking for.

A friend restrung with the same DRs and he's had them on for almost a month and a half now, and he is very hard on them and they still sound great.

I'm quite pleased. :cool:

Leanne

8. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Yep, DR's do last. I have the Low Riders on my Sterling and they feel and sound great. I have the Sun Beams on my fretless Stingray and they are perfect too. Had both sets on for about a month and they still sound new. The Low Riders did take a little while to settle in, but they sound super now. I really want to try a set of the MM 5's on mt Stingray5 too. I have High Beams on them and they are fabulous, but a bit bright. I will try the MM's and the Low Riders on the SR5 when I get the chance.

Scott

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - I did a review of them in Jan., 2001 (see Talkbass Reviews).

I most recently bought some Lo Riders because I hadn't strung up with them for so long. I wish I had stayed with another set of the "Marcus."

Not that Lo Riders aren't great strings, but the "Marcus" just have so much more of the snap and "zing" that I like for slap & pop. Yet, the "Marcus" give a big, full, round tone because of their great mids......a little bit like a marriage of Lo Riders + Hi Beams.

DR's have never disappointed me when it comes to string life.

10. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    "a little bit like a marriage of Lo Riders + Hi Beams."

Now that really sparks my curiosity.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Kind of a nice "tweener" sound combo of the two sets, army. (Not that they can replace the best characteristics of either Hi's or Lo's, IMO).

But, what can I say??? - the DR "Marcus" received the Musikmesse Int'l Press Award for "Best Strings" in 2001/02.

12. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Well, I got a set of the MM5's but I put the Lo Riders on first. I have narrowed my string search to DR Lo Riders, Hi Beams and MM's.........they all sound great but I will try to see which one is perfect for each bass. I think the Lo Riders are a must for the Sterling. and the Hi Beams and Sun Beams are it for the fretless Stingray 4. Jury is still out on the Stingray 5.

13. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I got some promo strings from GC yesterday. They were supposed to be Hi Beams,but I got s set of Marcus 5's and a set of Long Neck tapered 6's instead. I put a B string on my BN5 because the Zon's B string was getting unfocused.
    The Marcus B string soundd deep and thuddy and lifeless.
    How can this be the string that I have been reading about?
    I took it off immediately and replaced it with a used SS Ernie Ball B. Problem solved.

What to .... is going on?

Are tastes that subjective?

Anyone want to buy a 4 set of Marcus DRs? I'll throw in the B that was strung for 5 minutes.

14. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Rockbobby,

I don't know what the problem was on your B. The set the I strung on my F Bass sounds great. I have a few solos where I slap the B string when fretting the low D and E notes and the sound of that B string has great attack, sustain, and bottom. It sounds ballsey with a lot of snap and quickness.

I'm buying another set when this goes dead.

15. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

OK, I just got back from a switch back. I miked both strings at .125 and the both are SS with solid windings.No silk. I think the E.B. is hex core.
    When I put the DR back on, I made sure that it was seateproerly and the windings were correct at the tuner.
    I got the same results. The string sounded "new" in the sence that it wasvery ringing and crisp, but you could pluck it softly then hard and it compressed bad with the hard. Like I didn't strike it harder. It totally sucked. You could hardly tell what pitch it was in. And fretted notes were worse. (I was playing it unplugged- 3:AM here). The other strings were fine. I put the EB back on, and violla. Even tone up the neck, punchy, clear.

I may have happened on a bad set, but that's it for Marcus fatbeams. First impressions are lasting ones.

16. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Bobby, I have had similar experiences with DR's. I dont want too start a war here but I wonder if it has to do with the whole hand wound thing. I just put on a set of SS Lo Riderson my Stingray 5 and they sound great but the B string is not nearly as good sounding as the EB Super Slinky that came with the bass(It's 2 months old). I have had three bum strings from DR in the past few months. I contacted them and they replaced them....but how often do you want to deal with that. I am rethinking this whole handwound thing. I love the tone, but the hit and miss on dead strings could get pretty old. I change strings pretty often and I guess my chances are increased.

17. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I used DR's for about a year and loved them. But toward the end of that year I started getting sets with what sounded like one of the strings was already dead. Happened a couple of times. This isn't the first time I've heard of DR's inconsistency. At 35.00 a set I don't like getting an unpleasant surprize like that.

18. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Yeah, I am feeling the same way Swingbass. I really like the DR strings but I do not think that I would buy them out of my own pocket. The Army buys my strings at work and we get DR's. But I think I may have to do some more searching into another brand that is a little more consistant and wallet friendly. What strings did you switch to Swingbass?

19. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Well, I guess I'm going to be cautious about continued use of DRs. I don't have the time or patience to deal with the manufacturer if I get a bum string in a new set. I'm glad that I got comments from others TBers on this matter.

20. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I'm still searching for a string that was as good as the DR. I tried some ken smith's but they had a little too much zing to them. Maybe if I had better technique it wouldn't be so bad. I've tried D'Addarrio but didn't like those for some reason I can't remember. Right now I have some LaBelle steel flats on my SR5. Seriously fat sound to them but they don't cut through the way I like so the search goes on :(