Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR's nickel vs SS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Jan 26, 2006.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have used DR LR SS for years. But now that I am playing in a different band that's into Motown morso than hard rock i maybe want to tone down my strings a bit. I like the tone of LR's but the tension and zingyness is getting old. I was thinking of going back to HB's to get a little more loser string and maybe nickels to have less of a crispy tone. I have never tried nickel strings before. How do they compare?

2. I've tried Hi-Beams, just tried SS Lo-Riders, and went back to Sunbeams...the tone I get out of the Sunbeams sounds so much better to my ears than both of their SS strings..

The Lo-Riders I tried had less musical highs than the Sunbeams on my Rickenbacker..
    ...the Lo-Riders just had a toneless "clack" in the highs when pushed that reminded me of Fieldy's tone ....adding more mids did compensate a little, but I never got full mids out of them, or the high-end harmonics that the Sunbeams had in spades...I think it all had to do with the nickel content of the string....I'm sure they'd sound better on a bass that isn't as hi-fi...

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Ever try HB or LR in nickel?

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Nickel high beams are called sunbeams. I've got a set on the way ... I'm a longtime high beam user but I've been digging a nickel tone lately so I'm going to see how they work.

Nickel lo riders are real nice if you like a stiffer string.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Gottcha!

I want a string my playable..I don't the tension of LR's but I think a more flaxable string would be more playable.

Also I want a darker tone.

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You might like TI superalloys.

7. I just bought some LR nickel's, and ive always used hi-beams. It will be interesting to see how i like these nickels.

8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I put a set of DR Nickel Low Riders on a Quantum 5. I thought they were very unremarkable. Sounded dead from the start. B string was not great. I was not looking for a subdued string and was disappointed.

Dave

9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Nickel lo riders are quite mellow. My favorite string on the Q5 was always hi beams 45-125 after they'd been on for a couple weeks. GROWL.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I use Sunbeams on my MTD 635 and Zon Legacy fretless 5. I use Marcus Miller Fat Beams on several other basses. How well a string with work IME is heavily affected by what you're putting them on...

and what sound you ultimately want of course.

And how you play. The Sunbeams sound zingy when I want them to on my MTD. For other people who aren't used to the bass, they sound zingy all the time.

11. Hmm, doesn't sound good.

Hopefully they'l fair better on my SR5.

12. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I was a Roto guy for 25 years--Then I found DR's. Dr's are my very favorite. I use mainly High Beams, but I like all of their line of strings, better than any brand!

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

DR's are better IMO as well....

14. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    How rough do DR stainless strings feel when compared to other stainless strings? Like Rotosound 66s for example. Those things are really rough!

Graeme

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I personally think they have a very smooth feel. I really like the 40-100 gauge High Beam set. I like the kind of looser tension, and they give a nice funky sound.

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think maybe the DR's were a little smoother. Personally I never had a problem with either. DR's will last about 5 times as long.

17. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    DRs are WAY smoother than swing bass 66! The steel DRs give me the perfect balance of smooth feel and "tractioin" for articulating notes. Other strings like the rotos, MTD, Sadowskys can sound really good but they chew up my fingers and feel too "sticky" when playing staccato.

18. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Are those SS?

How do they compare HB's or LR's?

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Not stainless or nickel ... some wierd iron alloy. They are less stiff than even hi beams and a unique, warm tone. Search on them and you'll find some more info.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use DR LR SS. I really just love the tone and tension.