Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DR's, string core type and string tension...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chrisp2u, Oct 3, 2005.

1. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Just curious... I did a search and couldn't find any discussion of this, so sorry if it's been covered before...

Is there a difference in string tesion based upon the type of core the string is wound (ie. round-core vs. hex-core)? It would seem to me (logically at least) that since hex-cores are stiffer, that they should require less tension. Is this correct?

Also, I've been using DR Lo-Riders on my 55-02 and have to say that I love them so far, but they are a tad bit stiff for my taste. Do the Hi-Beams sound pretty much the same? How much more flexible are they? I've previously had GHS boomers, EB Super Slinky 5's on there for comparison.

Thanks.
    ---
    Chris

2. I really can't help you with the technical aspect of your question, but as far as the diferrences between lo-riders and hi-beams?

well, lo-riders have a more classic bass sound, a tad more bass and low mids (at least to my ear) and average treble. great sounding strings.
    lo-riders=semi-oldschool tone

the hi-beams, however, are SUUUUUUPER treble-y. if you are into fingernoise, string-hitting-fret-noise, not to mention incredibly articulate, clear, and resonant singing highs, then these may just be the strings for you.
    hi-beams=modern tone, slap/tap happy highs.