Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JWC, Jan 15, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Any thoughts on DR strings. I just got some today but haven't put them on yet. See, I have never changed the strings myself out of fear that I will mess them up and have to buy more.
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I use the DR Lowriders. Sound great and last a long time.
  3. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    love um. Great strings!!
  4. glover

Jul 3, 2000
    Yeah, they are the best strings as far as I´m concerned. I have tried a lot of other brands but the DRs sounds best and lasts the longest. Very important for me!
    Besides....Geezer Butler uses them!
  5. BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001

DR strings are great!!! I use DR-LoRiders also on my
    Jazz bass and they give me just the tones I need.

peace, BJ
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

JWC- If you don't feel comfortable putting on strings, I use the same procedure as shown here and the job looks the same as that on a new bass http://www.bassplayer.com/gear/install.shtml
  7. What's the difference in the sound between the LoRiders and the HiBeams? Anyone?

8. A friend of mine has a Hamer Cruise bass strung with DRs.Man, what a combination.Everytime I visit I can't leave his bass alone.I can't wait to buy me a set.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

LoRiders have a hex core whereas HiBeams have a round core. LoRiders can be nickel or stainless steel and HiBeams are strictly stainless.

Soundwise, the consensus seems to be that HiBeams are initially brighter, (almost too bright for some people). LoRiders seem to be a little duller initially but are very consistent throughout their lifespan. Of course your,YMV depending to some extent on the capabilities of your bass/amp.
  10. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    The feel of the Hi-Beams is what I love about them. The round core makes them extremely flexible. They are quite bright which I like and seem to hold this tone for quite awhile. I've never used Lo-Riders but I've played other hex core strings. They don't feel like these round core Hi-Beams, they feel stiff. Fat Beams will be out soon...can't wait to try them!
  11. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Don't forget Sunbeams :) ...Round core (like Hi-Beams) but Nickel wrap.
    madjazzbass likes this.
  12. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The Sunbeams are the ones I like the best (see other posts about them). They have the flexibility (since round core) and the softer less bright feel/sound (since nickel plated)

They best of all worlds

1954bassman and madjazzbass like this.
  13. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    are they fat as in "fat sound/tone" or just thicker guage?[​IMG]

i just recently re-strung my bass with some Hi-Beams and all i can say is WOW! i hate to be cliched but these strings did bring the bass to life. the stock strings that came with the bass were almost instantaneously dead. being relatively new to bass playing, it took me a few months [and some time spent reading threads here] to realize that the strings had gone dead. i read a lot of good things about the DR's that i decided to try them out. now there's so much more character to the tone, more mids and more presence. i can dial in more growl on the eq or more piano like sounds. more clarity and defenition, specially in the open low B. as far as life span, i've only had them on for a little over a week so i can only hope that they last as long as people say they do, i hope longer.
  14. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    DRS SUCK ASS! I HATE THEM! I quickly learned how to restring a bass and put the Ernie Balls back on. Those feel like **** on my hands. They have a rough feel like they are made out of chain link fence or something. Jesus! thanks anyway for the opinions!
  15. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Alright JWC, which DRs did you put on?
  16. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Hi beams, 102-40
  17. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    JWC, What other stainless steel strings have you used? I'm assuming the Ernie Ball strings you like are nickelplated. IME, Hi-Beams are quite smooth for stainless steel.

Ubersam, according to DRs website, Fatbeams gauges are pretty much like other strings. I'm assuming the difference with Fatbeams will have to do with the core to wrap ratio. Plus, Marcus Miller has a signature set so I'm quite sure they will be stainless steel, especially since he endorsed Hi-Beams for so long.
  18. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    initially, i thought the DR Hi-beams [45-125] were kinda rough too, though smoother than the POS stock strings my bass came with, which i think were also stainless. the DR's felt more flexible though, not stiff. i quickly overlooked the roughness as soon as i heard the sound. i've never used EB's [the DR's being only my 2nd set of strings] so i can't compare.

i'm going to keep an eye out for those Fatbeams.
  19. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I was about to try some Hi-beams, but now I'm rethinking it.

Rsautrey (or anyone else), how do the Hi-Beams compare to Rotosound Swings? IMHO, Roto's are about the harshest feeling string I've ever used --and I'm mainly a steel roundwound user. I always wanted to try them on my Ric because I like that Geddy Lee/Chris Squire sound, but many were they rough! If the hi-beams are like that, forget it!

I agree that if you're a flatwound user, any steel roundwound is going to feel harsh by comparison. However there are vast differences between roundwounds, too. My Ken Smith medium stainless roundwounds feel as smooth as Fender flats when compared to Rotos.
  20. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Saint, the Hi-Beams are the smoothest stainless steel roundwound I've tried out of the following:

Rotosound Swing Bass 66
    Labella Hard Rockin' Steel
    Dean Markley Blue Steel
    Dean Markley SR2000
    Fender Stainless
    D'Addario Prism

The flexibility of Hi Beams is pretty awesome too. Try them!