1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drug Injection Sites

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FingerDub, Feb 7, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    SF safe injection sites expected to be first in nation, open around July 1

I've been following this idea for a while and am glad to see the first drug injection site opening in SF. I'm fan of getting terrible things out in the open and having a safe place to use with clean needles will help prevent diseases and overdoses where they can be seen and helped instead of dead in a dark alley. Also, many drug users want to get help and help at these sites will be offered and can be a bridge between their hopelessness and a better life.

This is not without controversy though. Many people think that this is just helping drug users who will take advantage of it while others even think that it will encourage new people to try drugs. However, in order to get air to the problem, you have remove the stigma and this is not only humane but bridges the gap between the problem and a solution. Cities like Toronto have used them with success with no known overdoses at the site and crime reduction in the area. Getting to simply engage with these addicts is key.

What do you think?

blue4, maxmaroon, ICM and 1 other person like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Semi-retired member Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Some European countries have many years experience with this.

I haven't read up on them in awhile whether it's helped or not.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Seattle is looking for somewhere to put one too. People are screaming NIMBY! (Not In My Back Yard)
    I think they are a bad idea. Not because it will encourage drug use, but because it's a place for trashy people to hang out and the kind of trashy people who will be at these places have a notorious reputation for not being clean or respectful of those around them. Calling them successful because there hasn't been an overdose or an increase in crime is missing the point.
    I do not believe providing people a place to use drugs will contribute to solving the problem. It makes certain people feel better about themselves by putting up locations like this.
    We have safe places to go and legally drink alcohol. That hasn't solved the alcoholism problem in the USA.

This is a politically charged conversation around Seattle. I sure hope it doesn't get like that in our discussion.

-Mike

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    PillO and FingerDub like this.
  4. Well, not much else has worked in the fight against hardcore drugs.

GregC and BurnOut like this.
  5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Approximately 80 percent of the global opioid supply is consumed in the United States, which represents only 5 percent of the global population.

Opium production exploded in Afghanistan and has grown apace with the US drug "epidemic"

Note my quotes

petrus61 likes this.
  6. Aside for the kind of news which are not exactly music-related, in Italy we have the so-called SERT where those who are enlisted for a recovery programme can be internate for a period and are given metadone ... but these are very sad places ... nothing funny there or in the private centres which do the same job

7. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I've been talking to people who were stationed in Afghanistan that got out. Many were hired by private entities to go back over and protect the opium crops. Who's paying them I'm not sure.
    With all the crap I've seen in my neighborhood, a place where they can go shoot up is not really different than what's going on now. The only difference is someone will be there if they overamp, they'll have access to clean needles, and old needles will be disposed of properly. They usually offer them treatment if they want it. I don't see the treatment part working so well as it's pretty much turned into a cash business with fortune 500 companies getting in on it now.

petrus61 and Son of Wobble like this.
  8. I've lived in areas where they had injection sites and they seemed to work. How well i cant say. But the City i live in now doesn't have injection sites and with noticeable frequency i see FB posts in local community groups about people finding needles in parks, beaches etc.

I may not know what solution would work best, But i believe we have a pretty long list of solutions that don't.

maxmaroon and BurnOut like this.
  9. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    None in Ireland yet.
    Our Health Service Executive has plans for it, but is being hampered by red tape and local commercial interests who don't want the clinics anywhere near them.
    They do seem like a good idea, not a solution to the drug problem certainly but at least a way to manage use safely.

BurnOut likes this.
  10. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I f you make drug use attractive, you may attract more drug users. I shot up dope for 18 years and can't really say how I feel on the issue. Maybe I'm just too burned out.:woot:

Son of Wobble likes this.
  11. Reducing overdoses and the spread of HIV and hepatitis *is* the point.

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I would like to weigh in by being highly judgmental, and saying that I'm a better person than many other people, although potentially a worse person than other many other other people. I think people who I disapprove of should be forcibly removed from wherever they are, and made to go somewhere else, AND STAY THERE.

That is all that needs to be said.

Gaolee likes this.
  13. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    GregC likes this.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If that's the case, then the disregard for the communities where they are located is disgraceful.

-Mike

15. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I am 54 and have lost two friends in their twenties to drugs in the past few years. These kids are wildly attracted to the junky outlaw mystique, and there just doesn't seem to be any way to eradicate that particular romantic world view.

I try lecturing them that they need to at least leave a legacy -- or even a lone album -- before they blaze out, these kids... But I am just an old dude with romantic notions about the importance and durability of art.

Choose your illusion...

16. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Is it not helping the community whwre they are located? If there are enough people who need the help then isn't it better to have them at some sort of Center instead of perhaps in your side yard? Or someone else's yard, I think you get what I mean.

17. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I'm conflicted about it. There was a building site down the street from my house that was invaded by junkies, vagrants, bicycle thieves, and all kinds of other wonderful people during the year it took for the developer to get his thumbs out and tear down the houses on that site. We found lots of needles, which was no good because there are a whole lot of small children in the neighborhood. The vagrants flopped out on the sidewalks, had big, loud parties, and were a royal PITA until construction started. There were all kinds of other problems, from thefts to arson. Now, the project is under construction, but the project superintendent carries a gun because of the amount of theft from the jobsite and the number of needles he finds every morning, left over from whoever sneaks in there at night.

So, I have less than a high level of sympathy for junkies. I think they are a nuisance at best. That said, prohibition didn't solve alcoholism, nor did making marijuana illegal stop people from using it. Opening a safe injection site would at least get some of the junkies into an environment where the potential for recovery from addiction is a little higher than just shooting up in an abandoned house in a random neighborhood. Maybe some of those people are functional junkies who would be able to cope with the world in a way they can't now. I don't know. And, I'm sure I wouldn't be very happy if an injection site opened up on the corner, but in a sense, we already went through that. It just wasn't a safe injection site and wasn't supervised in any way. A supervised injection site would at least mean the mail thefts, trash, arsons, needles strewn around, and passed out vagrants wouldn't be as big a problem as they were when it was an opportunistic shooting gallery and shelter for all kinds of other bad behavior.

bolophonic, GregC and Oddly like this.
  18. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I currently live in Seattle where 2 injection sites are in the works... 1 in the city (it'll probably be located in the Sodo industrial area where there are already methadone clinics), and the 2nd one is the one getting all of the NIMBYs.

Seattle, King County move to open nation’s first safe injection sites for drug users

"The sites aim to quell the flood of overdose deaths and to connect drug users with health care and long-term treatment. They also aim to move drug abuse off sidewalks and out of alleys.

More than 600 used needles were found in Seattle’s urban core in November, said Brad Finegood, a task force member with the county Department of Community and Human Services."

^ 600 (only counting the downtown core) has got to be a low count ... as I've carefully picked up several used & uncapped ones from sidewalks for disposal without letting them know, and i can't be the only one.

These safe injection sites are just an extension of the several needle exchange locations around town that I'll bet 99.5% of the population aren't even aware of happening under their noses as it is. I can tell you that these exchange programs save lives... slowing the spread of avoidable diseases & medical complications that all addicts otherwise face without clean resources.

I'm proud to live in a city that is trying to take care of it's most vulnerable portion of the populace head on using harm reduction techniques, instead of just sweeping it under the rug. The 'drug war' is a farce on many levels, and almost everything we're thrown billions of dollars at trying to legislate away and fill up our jails with users is obviously not working very well. Humans have been altering their consciousness from the beginning of time, and it's time we try a different approach in dealing with these issues... which I see as a public health related matter, more so than a criminal one.

Education is key in everything. Teaching safe & responsible use just seems sensible if a portion of the population is going to do it anyway. Maybe at risk kids can tour these places (like they do at some prisons), so they'd see there's much less glamour in it's mystiqe up close. Look at how the public perception of marijuana has changed in the past decade from demonized to a major tax windfall for states that were smart enough to legalize & regulate it. Making a whole criminal class of people who like to smoke a joint before bedtime is very non productive for a community unless you're an investor in the latest genius idea of Private Prisons for Profit :rollno:

19. You mean there should be a Guantanamo Bay for unruly TB members?

bolophonic, mohrds and Gaolee like this.
  20. I think more people would rather live next door to a nuclear power plant than a junky drop in centre. Even KBD.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.