1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drug testing at shcool

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by astronauts_suck, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Ok, so I have this friend (yea, I know what you're thinking, but I swear on my left nut that it really is a friend) who got randomly tested at school a few days ago. The problem is that he's going to test positive. I'd like to know what they (the school) can do to him when the results come in. I know that the rules vary from place to place, but is it likely that he could get suspended or expelled?:help:

Thanks in advance.

2. I think they usually only random drug test people in extracurriculars like athletics. He could easily get booted off the team. Not sure about school. Policies probably vary. Suspension I would think is quite possible, as probation or outright expulsion depending on how tough their individual policy is.

Remember there are stories of kids getting kicked out for asprins in a few cases where the policy is poorly written and the school administration are morons.

Randy

3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Varies, my bet would be suspension.

4. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't know either... but, yeah, he probably will be disciplined.

If you'll allow me to vent for a second, I think this practice is ridiculous, unwarranted, and intrusive. The drug laws in this county are a mess anyway, but this is way over the line.

5. Just like to point out this was out of the entire student body, not because he's involved in any extracurriculars.
    I agree, the policy does seem a bit Draconian to me.

6. I also have a friend :rolleyes: who got a test like this one day, and when the results came in positive, he just said that he had been to a party where there had been this kind of drugs and that he breathed second-hand smoke or something like and he got out of it.

Of course, it's all depending on the kind of drugs that are tested positive, but it might work for your friend too.

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    why would your friend even let them test him for drugs (unless he played sports)?

Drug testing for the entire student body is the most moronic thing I can think of. It's not their business what they do in their personel lives.

8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

insist that the school administrator hold the cup while you pee ... :D

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    This wouldn't be allowed in my country without parental consent. Is that also the case in the US?

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yes, I think it is. But, without students communicating with parents about what's happening at school, they can't really do anything.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Joe it could very well be in some states.

12. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    You can be expelled if you're caught in possession of illegal drugs on campus. I'm not sure what they'd do if he tested positive, I would imagine at worst his parents would be notified and he could be asked to join a program. I couldn't see expulsion or suspension as a plausible consequence.

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    It all depends on what kind of drugs. (PM sent btw, check it out).

I don't think policy of random testing is entirely bad. It’s what they do after that might be good or bad. I think if someone was caught with strong and harmful drugs in their system such as crack, meth, and other fun stuff they probably need help. I only know few people who have done hard drugs (not crack but drugs) and had no problems with it. If it’s something like weed it should really be ignored. Kicking a person out because they have problems sounds easy way out and many school unfortunately do that but it hurts more then helping the person.

Can, but when they caught me I got sent home and came back next day. They told my parents that "I got in trouble" but I already told my parents exactly what I do and don’t so it wouldn’t be a problem. It all depends on how your school staff is not policies of the school board. They can be nice about it or not, its entirely up to the person.

14. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I think most of us can agree that it's a ridiculous practice. Technically there is no law that prohibits someone from being "high" in public (that's how it is in IL) but I think the school can probably suspend your friend. Really, it depends on the collective IQ of the school administrators, and unfortunately that total isn't much over 100.

AuG

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Well there is a law against it; I believe most drugs are included in "intoxication in public" laws. However a person could have been traveling to a place where it is legal and then it was left over in the system. Then what? He or she has done nothing wrong, right? I still believe it could be a not too bad policy if it was used right though.

16. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I was referring to marijuana. I've been under the influence while dealing with Sheriffs and there's not a darn thing they could do about it. (Like I said this might be the case in IL and not elsewhere.)

If you're driving, it's a totally different story. :meh:

AuG

17. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    uhm as far as I know, unless he tests positive as being currently under the effects, nothing they can do, unless he's part of an extracurricular activity that requires participants to be drug free...

Or.. your at a private school that has a policy about drug use outside of school... If this is the case, you pretty much check your civil liberties at the door, since you choose to attend a private school over a public school...

The whole thing seems to me to be one giant invasion of privacy, as well as a witch hunt. The results of said test are protected health information, per HIPAA, and umpteen million other state and federal laws. Is the school HIPAA compliant? Are they performing the test, or is an outside vendor performing the test?

I'm not a proponent of drug use, but I'm also an opponent of fascist administrative policies that bully kids into 'acting right'.

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You and your avatar fooled me. :D

19. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Naaahhhh.. I prefer a natural high... but not natural ice :p

20. Please, for the love of a non-existent god tell me this is not a public school in a democratic country.

edit- by "public school" I mean the type run by the government funded by taxpayers, as per American usage.