1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drugs is where I draw the line.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassanomaly, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux

Apr 11, 2018
    I think you overreacted a little bit.

The guy wasn't snorting coke; marijuana is a fairly mild drug. SWAT teams are not going to break down your door because your guitarist is a pothead. He wasn't pressuring you, and he wasn't "disrespecting" you any more than if he had opened a beer midway through rehearsal. I don't see what your wife and kids have to do with anything.

That said: If you don't feel comfortable playing with him, then you are fully entitled to change the situation. I think you'd be better off asking him not to fire up during rehearsals and performances.

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY

+1
    +2
    At different times I've both been that guitarist and the person who just has to pack up and leave, not even due to the disrespect or whatever, but because clearly the rehearsal/jam is not going to get any better.

Clearly a good side business could be built from this. Record a rehearsal Pre-Toke and Post-Toke and convince this guy to treat it like a good easy job for which the hardest part might be that he'd have to be convincing himself and everyone else that he's not one of those children who think that they are addicted to weed.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I agree. I won't play with people who do drugs either. I've never done them and never will. I've never even tried a cigarette, not even once. I don't care what people do on their own time but I don't want it around me. I have turned bands down because members did drugs and I have quit bands when I've found out that members were doing drugs. Now, I ask about drug use before I agree to audition. If they tell me they use drugs, I decline the invitation to audition.

tzohn, SactoBass, G-Z and 7 others like this.
  4. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Fun maybe....

giacomobass, kodiakblair and DJ Bebop like this.
  5. Dragonback13

Dragonback13

Dec 23, 2014
    New Mexico
    Distributor for Homeopathic HGH gel
    The fact that he is concerned with the person committing a crime in his presence is absolutely important to the conversation. The OP stated that it is illegal in his state and therefore could affect his family and his life. I am randomly drug tested at work and just being in the same area as someone lighting up could cause me to have a "hot" test. This would affect my job, family and life going forward so i understand his concern. A person's personal opinion on the drug has no bearing on the legality of the situation and illegal acts make some people uncomfortable.

6. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    A complex issue!! But I have to say that personally I'd be bailing after that one gig commitment. I understand that quite a lot of people (members of my own family, in fact!) do rely heavily on cannabis to offset the debilitating effects of their cancer medications.

But I have honestly never met a "recreational" pothead who was anything but "at least mildly dysfunctional", and I have seen some really bright and talented musicians utterly throw their lives into the garbage rapidly while exhibiting a severe dependency on cannabis. (not that the drug was 'to blame' - I do think substance addiction is a clear symptom of much bigger emotional issues)

It's perfectly legal to grow it at home here in Canada, but I don't think that the looming COMMERCIALIZATION of Cannabis bodes well for the future of our society (Not that rampant state-sanctioned alcoholism has been any great shakes, either...)

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Kudos to you for protecting your personal boundaries. Everybody's got to draw the line somewhere, and "drugs" is a totally reasonable place to draw it. :)

Another way of looking at this situation: From the guitarist's perspective, he was trying to be a good host by treating his guests how he, himself, would want to be treated. If he showed up for a jam, and the host offered him a toke, he'd be psyched, right? Especially in a prohibition state, he is putting himself at risk by letting you into his "circle of trust." He was kind of going out on a limb, attempting to gauge your reaction and hopefully build trust, which is important in a new relationship.

Not saying he was in the right, but it might help the situation to view it as an awkwardly misguided, but well-intentioned gesture of welcome toward a potential new friend.

That said: He should have used his words! Never assume! A good host makes sure everyone's glass is full, but a great host asks whether you'd prefer water or wine!

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Three things I will never put up with, no matter how good the gig:

1. People playing too loud.
    2. People not being prepared.
    3. People being drunk or high while playing.

Legality isn't the issue. I don't want to play with people who are impaired. If they chug beers, it's just as bad.

Tekkers, S-Bigbottom, DWBass and 8 others like this.
  9. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Hence the screen name? :p

10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Do you never play in bars? Not to be a smart ass, but maybe you are in a country club wedding band or only do corporate event gigs.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I’m a firm believer that weed amongst adults shouldn’t be a big deal. You have every right not to be around it, but I firmly believe adults have every right to indulge as long as they are being responsible and keeping it away from kids.

The biggest crime here is that a hack guitarist wasted your time...not the fact that hack guitarist smokes marijuana, IMO. FWIW, I don’t touch the stuff. :)

DrMole, Mvilmany, SactoBass and 4 others like this.
  12. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I’m 59, have lived in Wisconsin and California, worked and traveled coast-to-coast, and never once considered smoking pot as ‘doing drugs’. (Even tho technically it is.)

In Wisconsin, far more lives and families are ruined and people killed by the use of alcohol than pot.

FRoss6788, mikew31, Amano and 15 others like this.
  13. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I don't care if people want to smoke weed or drink whisky. But I refuse to play with sloppy musicians...if you can call them musicians.

In the scenario described, I'd stay home and watch Netflix.

14. Dragonback13

Dragonback13

Dec 23, 2014
    New Mexico
    Distributor for Homeopathic HGH gel
    I do not play out at all but even if i did, it would never be tolerated, in the area where i live, for people to smoke in a public place or bar.

SactoBass likes this.
  15. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I agree with this. I'm not 420 averse, but when I lived in the state the OP lives in I didn't want to be associated with activity related to it, especially related to the sale of it, because I didn't want any legal liability in any way. A friend of mine once borrowed my car and I found out later that he had used it to drive to and from some weed sales. Never got to use it again.

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’m not going to get into a discussion over legalities. I’d be just as pissed if he went in the other room and started drinking, facebooking, or playing a video game.

I’m not into “the hang” thing. Call a session, you do a session - with absolutely minimal distractions. I show up on time, brains intact, and ready to go to work. I expect the same in return. That’s just showing common courtesy and mutual respect for each other’s time.

klyph, Tekkers, Plectrum72 and 12 others like this.
  17. trebbihm

trebbihm

Dec 7, 2014
    Inland Empire
    I’m fine with squares filtering themselves out of the talent pool. There’s a safe space for them to play, sequestered amongst themselves, on Sundays.

18. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Smoking cigarettes/cigars is prohibited while indoors of any business here in Wisconsin. But in bars, concert halls, ballrooms, where ever there is live music, the aroma of cannabis freely wafts in and out.

davidprice, Engle and DJ Bebop like this.
  19. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

What a bunch of babies. Weed affects different people differently. Some become useless, others have their genius amplified.

Would you turn down a gig in Louis Armstrong's band? He was one of the great geniuses of the 20th Century arts. He practically invented jazz improvisation and honed it to a very fine point and, jazz singing? -- pretty much every jazz singer -- and plenty of other singers -- built on what Louis created. He learned to entertain in a way that transcended every earthly barrier imaginable and did it all while smoking weed every day.

And he's not alone. I know musicians and other artists, writers, etc. who have sustained word class careers for decade after decade and have won every award imaginable and achieved critical and commercial success while smoking weed almost daily.

Yes, it's illegal in some places. If that's your issue, I have no problem with you opting out. But I know busloads of potheads whose art / life / happiness is enhanced, not diminished from smoking a little weed. You might want to consider that there's a bigger tent than the one you inhabit. If you want to avoid pot smokers, that's up to you. But I wouldn't advise looking down your nose at them.

20. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    You should have joined him, you might not be so uptight if you did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.