1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drugs is where I draw the line.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassanomaly, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia living la vida loca Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    The issue to me is professionalism, not weed or booze or whatever. Anything that diminishes the music is a problem. If he can't remember chords when he's high, and he gets high at rehearsal, he's a hack. I'd excuse myself from that group whether or not he got high before forgetting his parts.

I'd rather play with stoners than drunks any day, but mostly I'd rather play with pros than hacks.

2. Dragonback13

Dragonback13

Dec 23, 2014
    New Mexico
    Distributor for Homeopathic HGH gel
    Trust me when I say that we live in VERY different communities.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  3. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I agree with you, but I'm pretty sure the OP said the guy got sloppy after he indulged. Some people seem to be able to play well, and some don't. I wasn't there so I will take his word for it.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Pot is not a drug.

tzohn, Mili, Wisebass and 3 others like this.
  5. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    If it truly was me, in your shoes, I would have said “put that children’s toy aside and lets smoke gravity bongs, like men”

FRoss6788, Andre678, getbent and 15 others like this.
  6. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

I wasn't there either. No hard feelings, but I'll disagree with you and go with Bearfoot's theory: Confirmation bias.

AboutSweetSue, DJ Bebop and LBS-bass like this.
  7. Dragonback13

Dragonback13

Dec 23, 2014
    New Mexico
    The Federal Government and many States say that it is.

8. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    So

FRoss6788, dmt and walking Bass like this.
  9. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia living la vida loca Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Should add, in the interest of full disclosure, that I probably played more gigs high than straight in the 80s. It was part of the aesthetic. I also did sound for a lot of big name touring acts, and, well, there were a lot of pros putting on quality entertainment under the influence of the Devil's Lettuce then, and probably still are today. :thumbsup:

jerry, DrMole and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. bassanomaly

bassanomaly Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland, USA
    Haha... after the fact, I had that thought.

11. Dragonback13

Dragonback13

Dec 23, 2014
    New Mexico
    So Federal and State law tend to outweigh any person's individual opinion. All it takes is getting enough people to agree with you to change the laws and then it will not be a drug. Until then it is.
    I expect that this will happen sooner than later but until that day illegal is still illegal.

DJ Bebop and buldog5151bass like this.
  12. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    It's remarkable that in different American states and cultural groups we have people who are "shocked" by casual at home weed smoking and people who have never been in a situation where people would be shocked by weed smoking... sometimes we have people from the same state living in proximity, both the shockable and the unshockable and you meet them at neighborhood dinner parties. I am from Massachuestts and I just saw the line at the Brookline pot shop, it's like waiting for Santa Clause at Macey's c.1964

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  13. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    This is the finest and most effective trolling I've ever seen here. Bravo, OP.

14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    While I never lived in Madison, I was a frequent visitor. They led the way in the US for decriminalizing pot. The city had a special ordinance that somehow superseded state and federal laws, and the worst one could expect (if one was acting out as in a public disturbance), was the equivalent of a parking ticket.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Yeah, as long as it's at his house. But suppose he's carrying and gets pulled over on the way to a gig? Anyone else in the car is caught as well, and in many states LEO is not very lenient about this. We haven't been in the sixties for a long time.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  16. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    It will still be a drug. Alcohol is a drug. Nicotine is a drug. C'mon let's stop being silly here.

GregC, Andre678, Plectrum72 and 5 others like this.
  17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Association can be a problem. Around here, the biggest employer is an Air Force base. Many of those folks have security clearances that won't stand up to ANY kind of criminal conviction. Losing your job over a bit of pot is a real thing.

18. Picton

Picton Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Everyone was within their rights here as long as it was the guitarist's house. Even the OP recognizes this on some level, since he hasn't narced the guitar player out.

So. Going forward, if I were the OP, I'd let Drummer Boy handle it, I'd do the gig, and then I'd cordially not play with that guitar player in the future.

If I were me? I wouldn't care at all. And yes, confirmation bias is a thing.

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    My screen name has nothing to do with it. It's a nickname which was given to me by a former band member who liked Thelonious Monk. My first name is Kevin so he used to call me Kevonious Monk, then shortened it to Kmonk.

20. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux

Apr 11, 2018
    The OP said nothing about work, or security clearances, or drug tests.

He said he was a "business owner." I don't think he's going to drug test himself, and then fire himself, because he was near a guitarist who inhaled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.