1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drugs is where I draw the line.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassanomaly, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Weed is a part of a lot of people's lives. It was part of mine for years and probably had a net negative effect. I like it too much. And I'm not good for much afterwards other than eating cheetos and watching Ren & Stimpy. Forget playing.

I've never been shocked by fellow players firing up, it's just somethng that's around. I don't quite get the OPs level of shock but I absolutely get the frustration over the guitar player's playing suffering. Could be some confirmation bias at play but I've also seen plenty of folks whose abilities plummet after taking a substance(and they rarely seem aware of it).

2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    No victim=no crime. Cannabis should be regulated like cabbage.

edit - I'm NOT advocating breaking the law.

That being said, I rarely partake and no one in my current band does.

I played in a band in the late 70's where use was constant for everyone in the band. We were the tightest band around. We covered everything from Yes and Genesis to the Beatles rarely missing a note. So ymmv.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  3. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia living la vida loca Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Marty: Do you have a philosohpy, or creed that you live by?
    Mick: Well...like, personally, I like to think about sex and drugs and rock'n'roll, you know, that's my life...
    Marty: Yeah.
    Marty: If you could not play rock'n roll, what would you do?
    Mick: As long as there is, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock'n'roll.

howard in nyc, dmt, BassBrass and 6 others like this.
  4. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    It’s very likely the wed added to his sloppiness.
    Some people think they can drive a car when they’re stoned—- tests prove that motor skills are reduced.

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I think we can take legality as a risk off of the table here. He was in a private home. Unless guitar sidelines as a trafficker, there is zero exposure to accessory charges. In terms of losing his job, OP is self employed. Until he implements a drug testing schedule for himself, chances are he's good.

I respect the stance that he wants no part of illegal activity, but let's not pretend this situation poses imminent danger.

GregC, kentiki, bassboysam and 7 others like this.
  6. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    no biggy, as long as music doesn't continually suffer from it...Might of been your perception of him at the time, tho i would've asked you first or did it beforehand. Especially around people you dont know, just outta respect. What if you were a cop moonlighting as a bassist....lol

7. Seems like OP did what he felt was right at the time, for his own personal comfort.

I tend to think that, during a break from working on music, if someone were to have a beer, smoke a cigarette, or take a toke, or drink a bunch of coffee, etc., it's probably not going completely derail the situation. heck, it may even enhance it for those who know self-control.

I personally know plenty of professional, touring and in some instances, virtuoso musicians who can have a drink or two, or a toke or two, and then play exceptionally well to audiences of all sizes. no impairment there. perhaps even some enhancement to be found....

regarding the legality issue, that has become a personal issue, considering the social acceptance around the world. so, if it made the OP uncomfortable to be around, he has every right to remove himself from the situation.

seriously though, can we stop calling weed a drug...?
    or, if we must, i suspect we should include coffee, tea, sugar, pain meds, etc. - you know, things that are actually physically addictive.

8. When I was 17, the other guitarist in the band died of a heroin overdose. I quit using hard drugs when I was 20, and only smoked a small amount of weed in the last 40+ years. Quit drinking 1 1/2 years ago.

What other people do doesnt bother me as long as they can deliver the musical goods, dont steal and pawn my stuff, or get me arrested.

I had a bad feeling about a crew i went out on tour with and took my own car and got my own room and sure enuff, they got arrested 4 days out. Never got paid.

I have been a TWIC card holder since 2016, so I dont play around. When I retire.....

eJake, LBS-bass and DJ Bebop like this.
  9. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Drug—- yes
    Narcotic—- no

wraub and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. Drugs are where I draw the line. Edited for grammar :)
    I don't know, in my old age, I've been known to use a little Motrin once in a while.
    :)

11. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    For me, there’s always a stigma attached to it. I don’t think it’s a harmless drug. At the very least, it saps your motivation in my observations. It’s legal where I am- heck, being a postal worker, I’m technically a drug dealer nowadays; people order it all the time.
    Personally, I frown on it. But then Again, I would frown on a guy who drank a six pack at rehearsal too. Why can’t the guy light up later on after the work is done?

Afc70, mikewalker and IamGroot like this.
  12. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I disagree. I like a tiny toke of weed a few times a week..... but I know that it really affects my playing. After having a toke I can manage to screw up a basic three chord song that I can usually play in my sleep. For me, it's a concentration thing. Things may be sounding really good, I'm grooving and not missing a note and suddenly I forget that the bridge is upon us and i'm still grooving to the verse. Different people, different reactions.

Plectrum72 and dmt like this.
  13. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    I think the guitar player felt comfortable around you and was just being a good host. I’m sure he is equally shocked at your negative reaction to his generosity. Maybe there’s a post about it over on guitartalk.

Pauly 4001, P-oddz, wildman2 and 6 others like this.
  14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I have no idea if any of this is relevant to the OP, but just because you are a business owner doesn't mean you are always free to do what you want. Any contractor with the DOD is subject to the most butt-probing background checks you can imagine. Not everyone can live like Elon Musk.

GregC, Wisebass, MynameisMe and 3 others like this.
  15. TheDayMan

TheDayMan Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Seattle
    No it couldn’t. Or at least the conditions that would make it possible are so extreme it’s not a reasonable concern.

wraub and 10cc like this.
  16. That's the issue I see. To me it sounds like he packed a bowl for three without asking. Then smoked too much....
    :hyper:Yay moderation & manners:hyper:

P-oddz and Esteban Garcia like this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "Just please don't do it around me. And don't let it affect our performance".

That's where I stand. I'm not going to tell a grown man what to do.... any more than anyone is going to tell ME what to do.

I worked for ten years in a six piece corporate/private party/wedding band. We played at least four nights as week except in January when we "took a break" and only did weekends. Two of us smoked up before and after every show. They never missed a note. Both if them played multiple instruments and sang both leads and harmonies. And they were fantastic at it.

The only rules we had for them were in quotes above. They never broke the rules. They never ever let us down at a show. We did three shows in one day in two different states. One of those guys played keys, horns, guitar and sang 52 songs in one day. The other played trombone, guitar, aux percussion, and sang 20 songs in one day. They smoked up before and after all three shows.

So, under those conditions, you can smoke up all you want. Get the job done and don't get it on me.

I think you can land in that space with this guy. "Hey man. Sorry I overreacted the other day. But you were kind of fumbling around after your break. If you can keep it together, and not blow smoke around me, do what you gotta do. K?"

18. Father Gino

Father Gino Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Farthard, Connecticut
    TalkBass is a drug. I’ve seen perfectly functional pot head musicians destroyed by this thing.

19. Weed is a drug. So is coffee, tea, sugar, pain meds.. but to a different degree.

Ps. I worked in a college pharmacology lab and did my senior thesis on a particular angle on optimized drug delivery using chemical modifications.

I see alcohol as one class of drugs that impairs certain activities and has a half life of around 2 hrs. I see weed as a completely different class of drug with a 24 to 32 hr half life that alters/ impairs certain functions, some quite subtly

Engle and D.M.N. like this.
  20. Corbin

Corbin Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Indianapolis, IN
    Personally, when I am alone, I play better after an herbal jazz cigarette. But with other people? Man, I found out the hard way that I do not. OP says this guy played worse. I have reason to believe him. But if it were me, I'd give him another chance to be sure. I would also just come out and say I thought his playing suffered after.

21. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    First, lemme say that back when I was a guitarist my rhythm section played a gig on peyote and we sounded good - I stuck to beer, me.

Second, is the OP sure it wasn't oregano?

T'ird, you gotta different aesthetic, and that's fine, but really ... that's likely all the net effect was.

PS: FWIW, I played inna band with cops who cared less, as long as they didn't breathe it to mess up their tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.