1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drugs is where I draw the line.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassanomaly, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thetragichero

thetragichero

Jan 4, 2019
    with a title like this, i was hoping that the thread started off as "...and snort it"
    but i suppose i have a sick sense of humor

just because I'm sober doesn't mean i require all my friends to be

TheDayMan, Coolhandjjl and vvvmmm like this.
  2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

Farseer, tzohn, davidprice and 4 others like this.
  3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I think it was a bag of something......... :laugh:

EDIT: The fact that he illegally lit up in front of you is a big deal. If he shot up heroin it would be a big deal. Illegal is illegal. It's not a matter of moral judgement, a person just doesn't want to be where there's illegal activity. Period. Who knows what kind of people sold it to him? Where it's illegal, mobs and unsavory types are usually the sellers. I would never want to be in a room jamming and the front door is knocked down because someone is suspected of distributing an illegal substance.

Just like we don't drink at our day jobs or in our cars or in public places. It's against the law. Just a case of self preservation.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Dragonback13 and G-Z like this.
  4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    No one caught the thread title:
    Drugs is where I draw the line.
    How ironic the lack of proper grammar, almost as if the OP was....gasp....somehow impaired...:roflmao:

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    I was gunna say som'ing meaningful,but like totally forgot man.....

bassobrutto, dmt, eJake and 2 others like this.
  6. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    :D:D:D That's got "new signature line" written all over it... :)

7. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    While I would say weed is a drug, I would also say ethyl alcohol is as well. And would you agree that Federal Government and many States were correct in enacting Prohibition? Or were they maybe not so right in doing so? What of the many counties that are still dry? Just because they say it's bad, do you then allow that to subsume your opinion completely? Now you're certainly welcome to your opinion on whether marijuana or alcohol are bad and should not be consumed, but the argument that just because the Federal Government says something is bad makes it bad is facile at best and disturbingly lacking in critical thinking at worst. The Federal Government is totally fine with doctors freely prescribing legal opioids such as oxycodone to millions of Americans, creating an opioid epidemic, but does that mean that's a good thing?

P-oddz, walking Bass, wraub and 2 others like this.
  8. You asked how we would have handled it.

Honestly, I would have taken a small peck at the pipe and kept on playing.

P-oddz, tzohn, mmon77 and 5 others like this.
  9. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I was at band practice the other night and the drummer had the audacity to drink coffee. He then got all hyper and I felt like his drumming was a bit fast. Should I quit? What would you do?

Pauly 4001, dmt, JRA and 13 others like this.
  10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    What does it matter? Your responses irrelevant to the point.

GregC and DJ Bebop like this.
  11. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    imma go smoke some of the pot right now and then turn up a bunch

dmt, wraub, DJ Bebop and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    It is legal where I live. Coffee is a drug the same way pot is. Therefore I may as well complain about my drummer drinking coffee. ;)

13. bassanomaly

bassanomaly Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland, USA
    Honestly, not my intent, but maybe I should go ahead and take credit for it. This is entertaining.

howard in nyc, wraub and Engle like this.
  14. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    If the line is just now being drawn, I'd forgive the misstep. It's a poor way for the guitarist to go about bringing it up. But if he knows you guys have a don't get effed up until after policy and adheres to it, who cares what he does on his own. Just my two cents

15. Gustopher

Gustopher

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    Lighting up without asking is rude. What if the other guys were recovering addicts? Sometimes people just don’t like to be around it and that’s cool too. Either way, it isn’t the end of the world for anyone involved. OP didn’t like the behavior and has a right to feel how he feels. The guitarist was in his own home and can do how he pleases as well. As adults we get to choose who we associate with.

16. bassanomaly

bassanomaly Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Maryland, USA
    Haha. Winning comment.

17. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    How ironic, I would say your response is evidence of your own confirmation bias. :cool:

IMHO @LBS-bass 's position that everyone responds a bit different to weed is accurate. Not every pot head is high functioning and some turn into total dumb A's. So it's sort of rude to attack the OP with an emotionally charged label unless you actually have first hand knowledge that the person he is talking about can spark up without getting stupid.

Now I am not saying the OP is not guilty of confirmation bias; perhaps he is. But wouldn't it be better to hold off on making such accusations till you have objective proof? In other words, don't fall victim to confirmation bias.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Plectrum72, Haroldo, Wisebass and 4 others like this.
  18. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Totally hear ya.
    IMO:
    It's "his" home, so it's his home. You guys were playing in his home. Yeah, I probably would done what you did and all, but in a way it is a bit disrespectful to "you." If I was a "smoker," I would of at least said/told you guys that I'm taking a "break" to go burn one down and would be right back.
    However:
    If I did "smoke" I would at least respect others, whom took the time to learn/remember jams and made the time to come over and play/rehearse.
    Just weird IMO.
    I'd let them know that you "play it straight" and that partying is done AFTER the jam/gig. Less problems that way.
    Chin up man, good luck.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  19. [​IMG]

20. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    This selfie speaks volumes, I think, as to where I stand on drug use

Photo on 11-10-18 at 6.42 PM-1.

JRA, Wisebass, wraub and 5 others like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.