1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drugs is where I draw the line.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassanomaly, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I guess I'm more tolerant than the OP, but I understand his position and it's a perfectly valid one.

I don't smoke weed and never have. Not because I'm holier than thou but because I don't like the smell of smoke. Not even from barbecues. It seriously irritates my throat. That being said, my mom and dad both were heavy cigarette smokers and over the years I became accustomed to the irritation. Still annoying though.

Long story short I've been around a lot of friends and bandmembers who smoke pot. Dozens upon dozens of people. And I've even been to a Pink Floyd concert and experienced the resulting contact high. I have yet to witness this "unlocking of genius" that so many pot smokers have talked about. I have only seen first hand people getting noticeably worse with their timing and attention playing after partaking.

The net effect of smoking pot that I have observed is that it makes people hungry and/or stupid and generally relaxed for a while. Overall I don't see anything wrong with that so long as one isn't operating a vehicle while stoned. It's way less dangerous than high-fructose corn syrup in my experience as a diabetic. And that smoke can't possibly be good for your lungs, but I'll admit I have a bias on that aspect. If your high is worth your lungs well, that's your choice IMO.

So in my opinion... Bad form to just light up without thinking of others. But I would have just put up with it and focused on if the music could be salvaged enough to get through the gig, then declined to continue after.

IamGroot and DJ Bebop like this.
  2. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Different people handle weed differently. Sure - there are geniuses who perform remarkably when stoned. News flash - they would perform remarkably without it. I have never met a single person whose abilities were enhanced by weed. Another news tidbit - there are millions of average non-geniuses whose abilities deteriorate noticeably and negatively when they are high. They don't think so but they are brutally incompetent at what they are trying to do when stoned. So I can see the guitarist not playing as well as normal when stoned. Maybe he doesn't normally smoke and he was trying to be social. Maybe he doesn't realize he sucks when he is stoned. The OP and the drummer should have a talk with the guitarist to air their concerns and figure out how the guitarist is going to operate at subsequent rehearsals and the upcoming gig. The OP can then make an informed decision whether he is comfortable with the situation or not. I think he will discover this has been a misunderstanding more than anything else and can move forward with the project.

IamGroot likes this.
  3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Then they leave if they are uncomfortable. Can’t expect a man to know everything about everybody when he’s in his own home, nor should he alter his behavior even if he did know. It’s up to those guys to take responsibility for their own lives, not rely on him to adjust his.

I live a sober life, but when I am at someone else’s place, for whatever reason, and they mix a drink, open a brew, spark up a joint, that’s up to them. In fact, my wife keeps a hefty supply of wine and hooch in our kitchen for her and our guests. Never been a problem for me.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Picton, JRA, Wisebass and 3 others like this.
  4. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I had to take a prescribed hydrocodone when I had a tooth pulled. I felt so dirty afterwards that I decided the only way to cleanse myself of the misdeed was to whip myself while simultaneously calling myself a dirty boy. Now I have a new hobby.

infamusblkdeath, JRA, flojob and 8 others like this.
  5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    It will still be a drug...what it will not be is a Schedule I controlled substance.

Jdh19 likes this.
  6. Do you drink alcohol, coffee or tea?

7. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Unless he intended to bogart it, what’s the fuss?

8. zubrycky

zubrycky

Aug 22, 2011
    I don't care about pot at all but I understand OP's feelings because one time I rehearsed with a trio and the drummer stopped the rehearsal to snort coke. I don't judge him but it made me feel really unconfortable. Luckily, I didn't need to walk away since we never played together again after that day.

sludgetail likes this.
  9. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    The OP has every right to have the feelings he does. Its his prerogative. When I was younger, I was very much anti-drugs. Avoided potential band situations where it was going on.

In my 40s now and I still have never tried anything (never even tried smoking a cigarette). However, the older I get, the more I think about how alcohol can mess you up just as bad as anything illegal, and they have funny commercials and stadiums named after them. Heck, nicotine and caffeine are addictive and legal. So I have changed my stance significantly. I tell bandmates now that I dont care if you smoke crack, as long as you can still play well. Obviously, those two things dont usually go together, but Im more concerned with their performance than anything else. YMMV though!

Keyser Soze and Engle like this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Weed...LOL!

11. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    If that happened in the ‘80s....meh...
    Who snorts cocaine anymore?

Mertle72 likes this.
  12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If you’re in a trio, there’s a good likelihood you’ll be carpooling to gigs at some point. Are you OK with someone else’s gear cases being transported in your car, knowing there will likely be contraband in there?

If you get stopped, and the cops find contraband in your car, unless the other guy fesses up, YOU are the one in trouble. Yes, I speak from experience, and no, I won’t work in a band with people who smoke. It’s not worth the risk.

bassanomaly likes this.
  13. I had 4 mg of morphine in the ER a few months back.
    It was so good, I am glad I cant get anymore legally.

SunnBass likes this.
  14. Mertle72

Mertle72 Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    Guess what......., your drummer was gonna get high too until you freaked. LOL

klyph, bassboysam, P-oddz and 11 others like this.
  15. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    Bottom line for me: If you're being payed to play, you're on the job. Rehearsal for a paying gig is part of the job. You shouldn't get high on the job. If you can't do that, you're not in control of yourself; and I don't want to work with you.

It's called professionalism.

I don't want the bricklayer working on my house smoking pot to get the creative juices flowing; nor do I want the local school bus driver having a quick nip of hooch to take the edge off.

Saying, "Louis Armstrong or Miles Davis did it." doesn't make it right. It's just a weak excuse that illustrates the fact that the problem is pervasive.

If you don't play music professionally, partake as much as you want; just do us a favor and stay off the roads we share while you're impaired.

Afc70 and IamGroot like this.
  16. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Any drugs that people make lines of are the kinds you should especially avoid. Stick to the suds and buds and you're pretty safe, though booze has ruined more lives than the green stuff

***unless we're counting a lengthy incarceration as a result of some centuries old racist laws, or a military like home invasion of your property happens, when an occupant who happened to be holding a butter knife was unfortunately shot since they were a perceived threat.***

"Oops, sorry... wrong house. Let's go boys."

Wisebass, wraub, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  17. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    IMG_1225.JPG

18. zubrycky

zubrycky

Aug 22, 2011
    Well, the 80s are gone a long time ago... And a lot of people snort coke.

Oh, I politely didn't mention the fact that the drummer ORDERED the coke DURING the rehearsal and someone (A shady character, I had to say) brought it to him before the pause...

19. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

^^^THIS!!! :thumbsup:

sludgetail and Helix like this.
  20. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    You went from 0-60 real quick on that one. I thought you were going to say you are now alright with a little green, a little alcohol......but you went straight to being cool with a little crack smokin’ here and there, lol.

bassobrutto and DJ Bebop like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.