Drum and bass bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nonohmic, Feb 11, 2006.

1. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Hey all,
    After a bit of advice. Hopefully some of you out there are drum and bass heads as well as bassists!!
    Want to start playing some live d n b and need to get a feel for types of effects used is d n b.
    Want to be able to get that dark rolling sound (sorry cant think of a better description), was thinking an envelope filter with maybe a fuzz etc attached but not too sure.
    Sorry about the vagueness of the thread but anything you guys can suggest for any type of d n b sound would be highly appreciated.

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Considering most D&B I've heard is synthesized, probably a bass synth would do you fine. Like the Electro-Harmonix Bass Microsynth, or an out of production Akai Deep Impact.

Soundclips at www.ehx.com for the Bass Microsynth.
  3. I've been getting some great sounds with my BOSS ME-50B. The compression and EQ (to boost the lows) has been great, along with the Square Synth, T.Wah Up, Octave Down and Overdrives.

The ability to plug in the bass, tune it up, Compress & EQ it and then send a complete signal into a DJ mixing board (I use a cable that has two 1/4inch mono plugs on one side and two RCA jacks on the other side) is fantastic. The Drum & Bass DJ that I play with can then sample from either turntable and cut and srcatch and blend in the Bass. Fun stuff.

4. Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Theres alot of different D n B. For example, there are bands like Lightning Bolt, a D n B band, with the bass acting like the guitar and the bass at the same time. distorted, tons of effects etc. I believe they run their bass through a series of distorted old unidentifiable guitar heads w/ maxed distortion. Other bands with the same concept include dfa 1979 (Death From Above 1979) who use a traditional EHX Pi or a Boss DS-1 for their tone. D n B :)