1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drum and Bass on bass guitar

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Alteron, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Alteron

Alteron

Nov 1, 2010
    A friend of mine does drum and bass, and he wanted to use a real bassist in some songs. Although I'm more of a rock / metal player I thought it would be an interesting experience. I'm looking for advice on how to build dnb basslines, and how to get the appropriate effects. Furthermore, does any1 know a site with dnb guitar pro tabs? I find them insipiring.

2. As no one has replied -- might ask in http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44

For the sound of a double bass put some foam rubber between the strings down at the bridge. Seems to help.

I think -- your bass line would depend on the song more than if it was being played by a double bass or an electric bass. Might ask that on the above forum also.

3. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Funny thing about a lot of drum 'n' bass - there often isn't a lot of "bass". If there is actual bass it tends to be in the form of swoops or minimalistic lines that occur sporadically. For that kind of thing I would imagine a bass synth pedal or something similar would be worth checking out (there are definitely guys here who could give you a detailed answer on what effects to consider). The first thing, however, would be to check out the music (including some older jungle - which is often contained reggae bass lines). Some classic jungle/drum 'n' bass records have been made by:

Rebel MC
    A Guy Called Gerald
    Goldie
    4Hero
    Photek
    Squarepusher

And that's just a start...