Drum and Bass Thrash: Any pedal suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by somrandomguy, Feb 27, 2006.

1. So a drummer friend and myself are thinking of starting a drum and bass thrashy-rock combo type thing, in the same vein as bands like Death from Above 1979 and Lightning Bolt. I'm looking for pedals that will give me that same kind of distorted bass sound that's suitable for this style of music. Also, just FYI, I'm pretty new to this whole pedal thing.

My current rig is fender jazz -> SVP-Pro -> QSC PA -> Avatar 4x10.

http://www.myspace.com/laserbeast (Lightning Bolt)
  2. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I've been getting that real buzz-saw dist with a double muff and the mxr bass di.
  3. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    DFA 1979 gets their sound by running his amps at full volume and distorting them like that.

I get a pretty sweet solo bass/drum duo sound with the following.

Electro Harmonix POG, Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor, and a BOSS DD-20 for live looping.

Also used are an HAO Rust Ride, a USA Big Muff Pi, Digitech Digidelay, 70's Morley Wah, a couple of looopers, Boss NS-2, a Apex Bass Exciter (to replace any lows lost through signal chain), and a Two amp setup with one Effected and one Clean.

Upon writing this I realized that Just the 3 pedals (2 if you arnt interested in live looping) are like $800 which is not a easy task at all. But thats the price you gotta pay for experimenting (well not specificlly that price...but in a figurative kind of way).
  4. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I heard/think DFA 1979 use a boss OD-1 distortion pedal. (Sounds dirty enough). And others i suspect.

I have been looking at starting up the same thing for a while (without the rock) and am also new to the pedal game. Through all the posts, questions and answers i have settled on the Boss ME50B. It seems to have nice fx and is pretty versatile. And being a relative newbie i can spend time playing with this to find out what fx are good for the type of electronica i want to play and then maybe spend some proper money later.

But then again, you may just want the sound straight away.....