Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drum and Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Rimas, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Against my will I Googled "jazz record drum and bass" and different variations, and as expected, i found nothing that I was looking for.

Recently I've been listening, researching, and studying the bass as played in different contexts and group settings, in jazz music. IE as the main time keeper with no drums, with solo piano, and also with other non-chordal solo instruments. Just tryin to get a feel for the different roles a bass undertakes, for various reasons.

but right now Im really looking for some good albums and recordings of Bass and Drums only.

Suggestions for drum and bass albums, as well as any other albums in which the bass is in an unusual/uncommon setting, would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

2. Do a search under Francois Rabbath. Probably 35 to 40 years ago he did a record with just drums. I think it was called BASS BALL. This is a historic record. I'm sure it's been CDized.

3. The Paul Chambers Mosaic Select box set has two PC/Art Blakey duets that are great. William Parker did a duet thing with Hamid Drake ("Piercing the Veil")but that also has WP playing some instruments other than bass.