Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drum and Bass

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Brahim, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Brahim

Brahim

Apr 9, 2004
    I have been playing bass for about a year and i think i am progressing pretty well. I am jamming with a friend of mine just drums and bass. How can i take full advantage of this?
    Should we cover stuff or get a drum and bass book (can you recommend something) or should i stick to what i am doing right now and try and come up with my own bass lines? (Even though they are not so good: I just stick to one scale and i dont really come up with a progression).

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well, being just Drums and Bass, I think you might really benifit from Michael's own book, The Chordal Approach. Its perfect stuff for situations like that and will really help you out with both progressions and general theory, as well as rounding out the sound of a duo.

Once you get some of his lessons under your belt, then you can play all the stuff you learned in the book with your drumer and alter your rythm depending on the drummer to truely lock in. You might also look at picking up Victor Wooten and Carter Beauford's duo instuctional DVD. Its mostly bass oriented, but there is a lot of just drums and bass work in that.

Hope that helps :)

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That is the easiest form of jamming. Also, incredibly fun if the drummer can "see" where you are going with you ideas.

My advice is to have an idea of where you want to go, but don't plan to much and kill a good vibe searching for perfection. Start with a basic motif, then apply a progression, add a different motif. Listen to where he goes with his beats and fill in the spaces. With a little work, writing a few tunes with only drum and bass will be a cake-walk.

Also, drummer's get a kick when the spotlight is centered on them. I bet if you finish a bar, drop the line out, let him throw in a fill, and then meet back with him on the 1 of the next bar that you will see the biggest grin ever.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Sorry to take so long to get back to you. You have a unique opportunity to really develop your sense of groove. Whether you get a drum/bass book, cover other matierals, vamp over 1 chord or play through progressions, the key is to focus on each other. The material is much less important than the act of playing (or more importantly - LISTENING!)

Mike