Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

drum and bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lowendgrumble, May 1, 2003.

1. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    Just wondering if anybody knows of an effect that will create that decsending "divebomb" sound. As if you were sliding down the the neck of a fretless. But i only want to play one pitch and then have the slide down.
    I have tried the digitech whammy and thats not quite what im looing for.

Thanks for your suggestions on this, or any other note worthy D'B" FX.

Chris

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's gonna take a synthesizer. A syn-drum of some sort, most likely. You'd have to be able to control it by MIDI from your bass. One of those Roland doohickeys might work.

3. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    Anybody else have any sugg??

Chris

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You're going to have to resort to MIDI and autodetuned synth sounds.

If the Digitech didn't do it for you, there isn't any other analog effect on the market that's going to work.

5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have a TAMA drum synth, I plus a line from my bass into one of the pickup in's...

:)

Alex

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Good call. An edrum brain would probably work. You'll only trigger one pitch, but hey.

7. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    ya, I just split the signal to one of the inputs - and I have it set to an awsome sub bass setting...

Alex

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah ... what he said.

9. Not sure what you mean exactly...any examples you could point us toward?
    I find my cheap-ass DOD FX25 to be the shiznit when it comes to reproducing "D&B" tones; very athentic.

10. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    MAd sub,

What I was trying to describe is this: The sound of a fretless bass sliding down(lower pitches) on the B string. Say, from the 12th fret down a fifth. I was wondering if there is a pedal that does this for you?? a la squarepusher?? Does anybody know what im talking about?

Thanks for your help.

C

11. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I know...

Alex

12. Hmmm..any paticular Squarepusher you could single out? I have a few of his releases. If a Whammy isn't it then I am kinda stumped as to what you mean exactly. the Line6 FM4 will let you sweep the pitch with a foot controller on any of those synth settings...You mean like when you sweep the delay time down real low?

13. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    Yeah mad sub,

thats what im talking about. I was just hoping there was some way to achieve and still stay analoge. I guess i could try the line 6

c

14. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    Yeah mad sub,

thats what im talking about. I was just hoping there was some way to achieve and still stay analoge. I guess i could try the line 6

c

15. Ok, I get it. Yeah...no way to go analog with that one I am afraid. Just keep that creepy digital bunk out of your signal chain as much as possible; I use a bypass box with my Korg G5.

16. why not use a trem bar?

17. He said that "whammy" effect wasn't what he was looking for so probably a trem wouldn't do it either. Still...it does sound just like what he is describing?? Doesn't the Digitech have presets that will take you precisely from your note to another pre-determined one? Like, down to the fifth of whatever you are playing?

18. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I guess I'm wrong, but that description sounds just like a whammy to me.... :confused:

19. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That is what it sounds like he wants to me. Maybe the Boss PS-5 (?) Pitch Shifter? I know it's got a two octave range in either direction, and I've gotten the effect that it seems to me like you're looking for.