drum beat speed question

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by volumefiend, Dec 27, 2002.

1. can you give me some examples of different speeds the drummer would give you? they have a certain name.

and how would i respond to those speeds with my bass?

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    In the old days they had italian words like allegro, andante to describe tempo. These were approximations meaning like a "fast walk", etc. Now due to the advent of digital recording we use actual beats per minute. 180 bmp is considered fast, many R7B/Hip hop type tunes are in the 90 - 120 range and ballads can be as slow as 60-70.

In jazz you will still hear terms like uptempo (fast) medium and slow. Although it is good to recognize these, it is more important to realize the feel.

Your response as a bass player has a lot to do with the style that you are playing. If you are playing punk you might want to play 8th notes (2 per beat). If your playing a swing tune you would play quarter notes in a walking pattern. Funk might mean a strong downbeat (beat 1) and some cool syncopation (emphasizing a weak beat).

Each style has their own idiosyncrasies that you need to learn to play in that style