Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drum & Bugle Corps

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassWizard55, Dec 31, 2002.

1. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Hey, is there any drum corps members out there. I marched contra for Spirit last summer.

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Go Cadets!! :D:D

I'm not a member, but a big fan. I'm thinking about it for next year...

3. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I was going to march lead tenor(drums) for Magic back in high school, but unfortunately broke a finger and couldn't. This was like a week before camp:mad:

Oh well...a couple friends of mine marched Magic in high school and one went on to march with the Cadets and with the Blue Devils. He played contra...cool kid. Man, I miss this marching stuff...haven't marched since 98(high school)

Peace.

Alex

4. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey RedV, I tried to play tenors once... I hit my hands with the sticks so many times I can't remember the count... lol

I'll stick to tuba and contras :)

5. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I play mellophone in a competetive marching band right now. I'd love to play in a drum corp when I get older, but I'm not sure if I'll be good enough at my instrument for drum corp standards :(

6. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    ok, cool.....

But, damn, I thought there would be alot of people here that would have something to do with the corps.....

oh well, peace out

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i marched with carolina crown from '92-'95...i played bass drum for one year and snare the following three years. it was great. sleeping on high school basketball courts really prepared me sleeping in a hooch in the jungles of panama/northern colombia in the army hee hee :D i've always kept up with all my favorite corps, though--the blue devils, cadets, phantom regiment, cavaliers, crossmen. yeehaw! my high school percussion instructor got me into all of it. he marched snare with the bridgemen of bayonne back in the day, awesome corps.

8. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    sweet

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Someone that graduated last year from my school marched contra for glassmen. Our marching technique director/instructor did drum corp on trumpet-forget which one though. Thats all

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    technique instructor? wow...my highschool drumline just plodded along flat footed with our feet at a 45 degree angle. we always picked up best drumline...we were all in various corps, though. it was a blast. our hornline always did the heel toe thing until the corps started marching toe heel. that was hard. i tried it once.

11. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    My band director was in the drum line of the Cadets, which is argueably one of the best corps.

Jeez is he tough on technique...:oops:

When we don't do it right, there is this vein on his forehead... :)

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, the VEIN...i know of what you speak....yeah the cadets are bad