Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drum hardware question?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StoutXXX, Jan 16, 2004.

1. HEy I was up at the store today and saw some double bass pedals but not the normal kick with a slave arm. This was center mounted double beaters with an equal slave to each pedal ont he right and left and the pedals said off set on them. Any idea where I can get info on these? I like the idea of keeping everything symetrical without another bassdrum.

2. ummm.... that is a little vague right there, but i hope this helps

www.pointtremolo.com

is that what u want? i hope it is. FYI do yourself a favor and check out DW 5000, 7000, or 9000, series. check it out at www.dwdrums.com
    Me i cant live w/o the 5000 series.

or, check out iron cobra by tama. incredibly fast and smooth, and won MD most valuable product of the year in 2003. i really enjoyed that pedal alot too.

and, plz dont forget to check out Yamaha's Flying Dragon models. any pedals from those series is muy bueno as well. check it out at www.yamahadrums.com

The most important thing, DONT GET A CHAIN OR DOUBLE CHAIN. THOSE SUCK BIGTIME, AND YOU CAN HEAR ANNOYING SQUEKS WHEN YOUR PLAYING OR RECORDING. NO MATTER WHAT, GET A STRAP!!!!

as if you cant tell, i am a drummer (duh). there is many many other good pedals out there, but i highly recommend you check out the 3 i posted. any way any Q's feel free to ask. ;)

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    interesting idea on the offset pedal. I don't think I'd like it personally, bcz I don't center my configuration around the bass drum, I try to center the snare and let the bass angle to the right.

I liked the Iron Cobra Pedals a lot, they felt pretty good. Didn't care for the DW's. Ended up going with Axis Double A's- pricey, but very nice. Almost too fast.

Did you play the offset pedal at the store? How'd it feel?

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    This might not be much help, but my drummer friend just got the DW 9000 and WOW!
    That thing FLOATS like no other pedal I've ever seen. He said he doesn't need a double bass pedal or a double beater now. I was messing around with his drums and I could get like 3 hits per one "stroke" - and I don't know what the hell I'm doing back there. DW makes one hell of a pedal.

5. Yes they sure do. i play a single DW 5000, and man i love that baby, oh and i play double bass, so-:cool:

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you listen closely, you can hear a squeaking drum pedal on "Purple Haze".

7. im impressed. good job P. Aaron. u must have an excellent musical ear if you could hear even that. i must applaude. Dudes plz just dont bother buying a chain or double chain, you'll get the same effect with a strap, and there will be no annoying sqeaking. no mess no fuss.

8. well no one apparantly know what I am speaking of and I am personally starting to think I didnt really see it. Anyway. It would allow you to keep your snare and bassdrum square due to the pedals and beaters being perfectly symetrical you couldnt even offset the kick if you wanted.
    \----[]----/ crude at best but that is what it looked like beaters in the center and 2 symetrical slave unit/pedals.

9. ChickenSocks!!! BOOOO YYAAAAA thats it . thanks for the link. Ive played and checked out all these other pedals but im not a drummer im just more intrested in the concept and where to locate info on the product. If i ever did get a set I would like something different just for hell of it and I wouldnt already be used to another type.
    Also based on friends kits the pedals seemed nice and floated pretty well. Overall I dont see why they wouldnt be excellant pedals. I liked the reversable beaters but hey you can do that to almost any kick.:bassist: oops wrong icon?

10. hey man im glad i helped out, but i think i saw what you saw in my new DRUM! issue Feb/March and on page 120 it shows a picture of the off set double pedal. and i was thinking to myself, hey thats pretty funky looking, and thats what u described, so anyhoo- if you have any Q's feel free to ask man. :bassist:

11. I could be wrong, but I think Sonor makes those "offset" pedals too. Their Giant Step pedals are very good quality and easy to play (I mean the normal twins from that serie, not the weird single pedal with two beaters). Thomas Lang can make those Sonor pedals fly :eek: he is really is amazing...

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    this page describes the Sonor 'middle pedal' but doesn't have a picture.
    sonor pedal
    Not cheap!

or how about one of these that the bug mentioned?
    [​IMG]

I mean why tie one foot to the auxiliary pedal anyway?

I like a nice direct linkage pedal myself. No squeak or tear!

Andy, where do you like your bass drum? Or do you have 2?

You can hear pedal squeak on quite a few Zeppelin tunes also. Probably on some of Keith Moon's tracks too. Heck, you can probably hear things breaking on his kit.

13. Yeah, I have some junko pearl double kick, it has the giant white beater heads, so you get the picture.

I have played many an iron cobra, and I really like those. But I do think the most effortless to play was the Axis.

It's not even like playing it, just thinking about, and sound happens:D.

(I wish I could afford one, and new heads, and more stands and cymbals and...well, you get the idea:rolleyes: )

14. indeed that is very true LUBE YOUR GEAR!!! it will thank you later. and as for playing I prefer 2 pedals....just already used to it i guess. IM not gonna have much of a set when I do get one because I dont plan on giging with drums unless it just comes to me witht he fury. So most of my efforts are still with the bass....sweetbliss.

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    want list:
    [​IMG]

16. I'll second that.

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    this guy seems OK w/ chain drive:
    [​IMG]

18. Hey Xush, its pretty cool seing some other drummers here. so where do i like my bass drum, well im a right hand player, so my primary (right), is just your average 5-pice right in front of me, while my left bass drum is just ever so slighty to the left closing in. but i have many drums and cymbals so-:D

and. xush thats a pretty righteous looking set.^ what is that? Do you have a link for it? but the bass drum looks hella small, like a 14"
    :)

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    It's Neil Peart's new Anniversary set from DW. That's a close-up on the Roland V-drum side, so that kick is a Roland KD120 (12" mesh-head trigger) w/ a custom facade.
    Looks like DW made all the shells for his V-drums to match this new kit.
    NAMM pics of Neil's Kit

20. thats sick.:bassist:
    i thought it was custom made by DW, too. hey thats cool dude.