1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drum heads.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Captain Chaos, Oct 8, 2017.

1. I've been playing the same crappy drum set I bought from guitar center 4 years ago and have no need to buy a new set at the moment.

Will there be much of a difference in sound if I get new drum heads?

2. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    crappy drums with good heads actually can sound okay-

but, it really depends. i think some "crappy" drums really aren't as crappy as we brand them. and knowing how to really tune them up is a big plus also.

what are the drums your using?

i've used professionally (and loaned out to busy professioanls) a 3 piece jazz kit that i paid $300 for. they're great drums.

3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

The answer is yes, it might make a huge difference.

You may find that the "crappy" kit is much better than you thought with good heads and a good tuning. I have a "crappy" Pearl stencil kit from an era when Japanese meant cheap. It wasn't cheap enough, so my kit was probably made in Taiwan, where even cheaper came from. It sounds great with the right heads. Same with the cheapo Chinese made Ludwig jazz kit I use for smaller, quieter events.

What heads are you thinking about, and what kind of sound are you trying to get?

4. I'm using a sound percussion kit. I play rock but nothing too crazy.

5. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    When I was selling drums years ago, I always recommended Aquarian Studio X heads for cheaper kits. They just have a deep resonant sound that made every low end kit that we put them on sound fantastic.

For the bass drum, the Aquarian Super Kick packs are still my favorite, even though on my current kit, I have an Evans EMAD. The EMAD is nice, but the Super Kick had a depth that I prefer.

6. Went to Guitar Center and got the Evans level 360 heads. I recorded myself playing and the snare sounds like a gun shot. Is this normal? lol

7. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Well, a lot of factors influence the snare drum sound. The type of heads are only one part of the puzzle. The tuning of the top and the bottom heads is probably the most important part. The tension of the snares themselves is next up. The amount of muffling you choose to use is important too. Start with the tuning. Do you have or have access to a drum dial so you can be sure about the accuracy/evenness of the tuning?

Homepage - DRUMDIAL

8. No, I don't have a drum dial. Just using my ears at the moment and trying to get the sound I like, if that makes any sense.

9. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Ears can be very sensitive.
    Experiment with tighter or looser turnings. I usually like to have a single piece of Moongel on my snare drums to dampen a bit of the ring. It is a very personal thing so again, experiment and use those ears.