1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drum kit too big?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by posijon, Jul 19, 2012.

1. posijon

posijon

May 21, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    Here's a bit of background:
    I play in a hardcore band here in Chattanooga. It's extremely simple music (think Leeway, Madball, Cro Mags type stuff). We've spent the past few months trying to iron out a lineup, and will finally be having our first practice with the new drummer on Sunday.

Here's the problem:
    His drum kit is huge. It's one of those Peart-esque kits with 5 rack toms, two kick drums, a rack, and a bajillion cymbals. The guy can play, but I feel as if the kit may be a bit overkill, considering the fact that most of where we play is small stages and houses. Do I suggest downsizing the kit or just let it pass and not worry about it?

2. We usually giggle when we play with a band whose drummer takes 30 min to set up. I think the cooler you can play on a simple kit the better. If you can roll your kick drum instead of having 2 or play cool fills with one Tom and a floor Tom. 2 crashes and a ride. Your doing great. Unless you get long drum solos I don't really see a point. But to each his own I guess

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Good question - it won't be a problem until it is someday. Besides the size, the time it takes to set up will cut into your stagetime. Also does he have transport for it and a crew to load-in and load-out? Would kinda suck if he expects yous guys to provide transport and work as "his crew" :( .

Also see:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f67/electronic-drums-899356/
    :cool:

4. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I've found, at least on the local scene, that talent and size of drum kit are often inversely proportional.

5. posijon

posijon

May 21, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    That's my point on it. If you don't need it, don't use it. Our guitar player who is also my best friend feels the same way. I'm sure it will only take one time of him having to load it all up to decide that he needs to downsize for shows.

My ideal kit is a kick, floor tom, rack tom, snare, hi hats, ride, and crash with a single kick pedal.

6. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    A drummer needs a kick drum, snare, one mounted tom , one floor tom, a high-hat, a ride, and a crash. I'll help move that. Anything else you're gonna move yourself while I drink your beer, chat up your girl and watch you sweat :D .

Oops, beat me to it ^ but I'll allow a double kick pedal seein's how I'm such a nice guy and all ;) .

7. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    Usually you're given about 10-15mins to set up before the gig. If you take longer, then it eats away at the time you can play, and if you play over time, then you'll come across as a douchebag to the other bands. So, I guess it's whether the drummer can set up his kit in that amount of time. If he can't, then he needs to downsize.

8. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    does he intend to gig all of that..?

every drummer i know hates bringing out more than a "ringo" setup.. rack tom, floor tom, snare, bass, two cymbals, hats. anything more than that is extra.

9. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Do you know if he intends on bringing the whole thing to a small room? Maybe he won’t.

If he does, after lugging, setting up and tearing down a few times in tiny rooms, the novelty typically wears off.

If he asked for help or held things up, or didn't leave enough room for the others on stage, then I’d probably make a little face and suggest that maybe he trim it down so it’s more appropriate.

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    In my experience, a smaller kit is better, unless you get stadium gigs.

11. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Have him play one of these :D

cocktail1.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Definitely. My drummer literally only uses a kick, snare, hi-hat, floor tom, a ride, and a crash. That's it. And he's the best drummer I have ever had the pleasure of playing with.

13. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal

14. If he rocks it good you get eyecandy points. Too bad the multi band per gig scenario makes it difficult.

I play with one drummer who can bag and stack his two tom, two cymbal two snare + kick, hihat & cowbell kit faster than I take down two cabs and a few pedals, maybe your guy is Speedy Gonzales too.

Maybe he has a van he throws the whole rack into. Play it cool until it pans out.

15. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Funny. I feel like a drummer shouldn't need a very large kit to get the job done, but then when I hear people telling me a bass only needs 4 strings - when I play 5-string basses - I kinda get ticked at them.

I don't recommend telling this drummer to downsize, unless you can do so *very* subtly and put up with any answer he gives (such as No). If you don't like his playing don't hire him - that should be the only measure you use.

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Around here, a giant kit is usually a sign that the drummer doesn't gig much. Same thing with giant amp stacks or guitarists show up with a dozen guitars.

17. eloann

eloann

May 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    I've been a drummer for 12 years. At some point I got quite a large kit playing with a very prog band. After that I played more mainstream rock (which means more gig) so I would leave more and more stuff at the rehearsal room. It all comes down to what you play and how bad your back hurts.

Maybe you could ask him if he intends to take his whole kit for every gig. Ideally with a smile and a beer so he doesn't feel under attack.

18. geddeeee

geddeeee

Jun 30, 2006
    5 piece kit should be the minimum. I absolutely hate the 'fusion' kit set up (Snare, bass, rack tom, floor tom). Should be 2 rack toms.
    There seems to be a proliferation of 'fusion' kits around at the moment. Our drummer has tried it on a few occasions, but that big space from rack to floor, just makes the drumming even harder.
    I would scale the kit for the venue. If it's big, then go for the 'world tour' kit. Smaller venues - 5 piece.

Never, ever use a fusion kit..... EVER!!!!! Lol....

19. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    If he's a good drummer, don't say a word.

20. just let him go til he gets laughed at over it; he'll figure things out.