Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drum Machine --> Amp Hookup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mjw, Jan 8, 2004.

1. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Hi,

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum, but this seemed like the closest fit.

I've got what's probably an elementary question for you folks. If I wanna hook up my drum machine to my Eden WT-550, should I connect it to the aux inputs, the effects loop, or...???

On the head, the aux inputs have a left and right connection, and the effects loop has a send and a return connection. My drum machine has both a mono and stereo out, so I wasn't sure. Sorry if this seems like such a basic question, and also if it's been covered before, but I've virtually no experience when it comes to stuff like this. Thanks!

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I don't know what you're trying to achieve exactly but I'll tell you what I did with my Korg PX3B. I just hooked it up like it was a bass. instrument cable from it's output to the input on my amp, turned it on and kicked in the drum machine function. Worked just fine. i was only demostrating a particular tempo for the piano player.

3. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Hi K-Frog,

I guess I should've explained myself a little better. I just want to be able to use a drum machine as a practice-tool when a live drummer isn't available.

If I were to plug it into the instrument input, then I couldn't plug my instrument in, which is why I was curious about the other connections.

4. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Thanks Kevin! :D I *do* have the owners manual somewhere, although it's current whereabouts are unknown. :meh: I recently moved, and I'll bet it's in a box somewhere in the attic, garage, etc.

Anyway, that's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks again.

5. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    O, then I would have said to try the FX return, but it sounds like you've got the best explaination already.

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I had the same problem with my Alesis Drum Machine.

What I ended up doing was hooking it up with a Y cable into the head, and then putting all my pedals except for the Looper before the Y junction. It works out well.