Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drum machine anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pontz, Jan 24, 2006.

1. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Is there a simple drum machine that I can play through my amp while I play my bass to make practicing more fun?

Pontz

2. i'm wondering if something like a yamaha psr keyboard w/all those effects be used as a drum machine only?

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I have one of the Yamaha DD-9 drum thingies (without the circuit bending switches):

[​IMG]

And it is about the third one of this type that I have owned. They haven't broken or anything, but I gave one to a friend and one to a guy who needed it more than I did. 100 patterns, controllable tempo, and you can usually get them in a steal off of eBay.

They are super portable, and you can play it like a digital bongo, if that is your thing. Sometimes it is my thing...

The other device that I liked is the Zoom rhythm box, but it is not plug and play. Something like the Yamaha box you just pick a style and play.

Oh, there is another cool thing where you can switch patterns in mid song and switch back. It can be really cool. You can kinda play it like a beatbox. My first one had a feature where it would only switch at the end of the bar (delicious odd meters) and I basically had an entire band project built around that thing. I didn't know it would be so hard to replace :bawl:

4. I have an Alesis SR-16, probably the most simple, least expensive drum machine there is. If your amp has 2 inputs you can plug it in and play it through your speakers, although it may sound weird coming through a bass cab. I use a little Roland Cube 30 combo to run my Alesis through for practice and it works great!

5. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Boss Dr-5. Cool little practice tool.

6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I've got one and I like it, but it's not the easiest to use. You can do every sort of rhythm, and the sounds it has are of good quality, but it's tedious to navigate, and editing patterns is a little tricky. Once you're over the learning curve of inputting patterns though, it's easy to make bangin drum loops with the Alesis

7. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    Boss DR670. Really fun to program and complete tool.

8. True, and I don't find the drum sounds to be very realistic. The kicks and snares are all too boomy I think. Is that the best I can expect out of a drum machine?

9. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    I'm really just lookign to replace my metronome to make practicing more fun. My computer is in the same room I practice in and I found a downloadable machine for 29.99 that does exactly what I wanted it to. (I'll post the websight when I get home in case anyone is interested.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Before you shell out that cash follow this link - you can find a slew of drum machine programs that you can download (legally) for free.

11. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005