Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drum Machine For Live Performance Gigs?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass2x, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    The drummer is on his way out of our 4pc (keybd, guitar, bass & drums) original music band. A suggestion was made to replace him with a drum machine... is this worth looking into? Or, forgetaboutit!

2. Personally...? - the 2 best players force the worst player behind the kit and it'll come out fine eventually! (I've had it happen...and once I saw a band without a drummer and EVERYONE in the front of the crowd shouted out "Gerroff your s***" and "Get an F****** drummer!" at the poor sods throughout their entire set...) :bag:

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Get another drummer. They need money for smokes, dope and booze.... oh and hi-maintenance girlfriends.

4. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    Must have taken temporary leave of me senses... can't play rock & roll w/o a drummer. Don't know what I was thinkin...

5. We are starting to give up on real drummers, ours is turning into a lounge act anyway.... can someone steer me towards the best drum machine ?

6. A drum machine may be better than nothing - but if possible, I recommend finding a new drummer.

7. I use my KORG TR-6 keyboard workstation and recommend it.

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    You are correct, sir.

9. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Laptop running a DAW and a few different sets of drum samples. Ideally with a large touch screen. It's much more practical than a hardware drum machine, and as a bonus you can also use it for piano sounds, guitar amp simulation etc.

I'm not really into realistic acoustic drum sounds (I'm more into having hundreds of samples of synth kick drums) but for "the best" you'd probably want to have Superior Drummer and EZ Drummer running on there with some expansion packs, though for lounge you could probably do everyting you need with free samples. I do have a nice set of samples of a small jazz funk kit with SFZ mappings, Cajon Fu which is simple and not very many samples but it does sound good except for the highest velocity layers. I use one of those when a singer wants some simple mellow percussion on a track, and they're both free. For extra classic 1969 drum sound fun there's also the Amen break VSTi which came out a couple of weeks ago, could sound great doing a sparse loungey pattern.

10. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Drum machines don't screw up. There are also some great examples of excellent bands who use drum machines for their writing phase. It could be an interesting and/or inspirational temporary solution.

11. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    It depends on what type of music you are doing- electronic synth stuff- you probably will be fine.

Oldie jazz type stuff again you are fine.

Anything hard rock or heavy rock you will not be able to. In all honesty as much as I love bass, if a band had to replace one instrument with an electronic version, bass may be the better choice.... ie Depeche Mode, etc....

12. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Why not just plug in an iPod and you three can sit at the bar and hit on chicks? Get a drummer.

13. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    I'll use a drum machine (or assembled loops) often in initial songwriting.
    Performance-wise? never.
    Every so often we'd get some folks in the open stages that used a machine, backing tracks or whatever,
    and they never went over.
    Audiences seem to be preconditioned to see a drummer in a band.

14. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Yep. One thing for sure, if you know what you're doing, with Superior Drummer people will THINK you're playing a prerecorded drum track. Which is at least an improvement over a drum machine that SOUNDS like a drum machine (of course on the other hand they may wonder why you just don't have that guy who recorded the drums play live...)

I face the problem right now that i wrote all my originals with Superior drummer and eventually will have to find a drummer that can play these parts. Most are fairly easy but some might be a bit more technical and the last thing i want is get a drummer that's good enough that he feels he's above playing my **** (which to eb fair most people probably should be) and wants to rewrite all the drum parts... I wish people didn't mind the lack of drummer, honestly. I mean...I DON'T.:p Besides its in the name, it's a Superior Drummer, so why would I want to replace it with average flesh and bones drummer?

There is a bit of a weird double standard in the music world though. If you're playing in an electronic band, well your beats are likely electronic so nobody minds the lack of drummer. Even if your beats WERE a real drum, they still won't mind the playback. It's expected. But if you're playing in a more traditional band, people will mind that you don't have a drummer there. I can see the attraction of going electronic. Far less people to deal with. You can have two guys on keyboards and play something as busy as a band with two guitars, one keyboard an one bass.

15. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
  16. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Ah, interested. Have been looking into doing a one man band thing and this could well fill a spot.

17. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Rayzoon also has a human drummer simulator called Jamstix which supposedly responds to changes in dynamics and stuff like that. Haven't tried it, no idea how it actually works or sounds.

But from the stuff I have tried, making sampled drums really work in rock is not easy, even if you ignore the whole stage presence and audience perception thing. The really great sample libraries are so huge, deep and basically require that you know more about drumming than most drummers to get the best sound out of them. Otherwise you might end up with this kind of end result:

[​IMG]

If you do have the knowledge and put in the effort they'll sound like a really good recording of a really good drummer on a really good kit, though.

OK, OK, so I just wanted an excuse to post the artificial fruit picture.

18. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    It worked okay for Big Black, but maybe that's not your thing.... :bag:

19. Gaolee

Gaolee It's all about the polyester Supporting Member

Find a drummer who is a girl. Drummers can be high maintenance, female drummers seem to be less maintenance. Bonus points if she's nice looking.

20. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    The only acceptable answer is the Boss DR-770. Not just any one, but this particular one.