Drum Machine Help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by count_funkula, Dec 6, 2002.

1. I currently have a Roland R-5 Human Rythmn Composer and find that I don't get enough "real" drumkit sounds out of it.

I have decided it's time to buy something else. What I need is a simple machine that has a good number of kits. I don't need bass sounds or any crazy sounding electro beat master stuff. Just real acoustic drum kit sounds.

I was looking at the Zoom MRT-3 Micro RhythmTrak. I have never heard one. Anyone know about this model? Can you suggest anything else?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    GEt something that can play samples. then go get yourself so quality drum samples and you shoudl be set.
    the drum machine I have is an MPC 2000...its a sampler/sequencer/drum machine that is totally awesome when you have good samples.
    most drum machines with built in sounds are never satisfying but if you get a really nice drum sample disc or if you make the samples yourself(any good microphone and some audio recording equipment...preferably digital for transfer to computer..etc.) then your in business.
    there is no way to get acoustic sounding drums synthetically its all about sampling.
  3. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Here is a trick to get a better sound out of bad drum machines. Play the drums thru a monitor, or your amp :eek: , or something with a speaker, and mic that speaker. It gives a more rich "live" sound. well good luck.
    Also look into software for some drums, there are a lot of good programs that have super drums for the same price as that Zoom.
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have a very old Aleisis Drum machine. Its live snare sounds/kick, and cymbals are good. The toms suck though. But, for coloring the sound, or just taking the electro-edge off, I run it through my Aleisis Quadraverb.

There's a few decent "room" sounds on it.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I haven an Alesis SR-16 for sale used - look in the "for sale" section here. It's a nice machine and sounds really good with many different kits. It's a great machine but I don't use it any more.