1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drum machine PC software

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Hawk600, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Hawk600

Hawk600

Dec 19, 2015
    Nashua, NH
    Hi there
    Can anybody please tell me an easier way of having a drum machine software (PC) to play along with?
    I wanted to have something like a drum background track like disco, blues etc..so I could practice playing along with the drums.
    It can be a VST plugin since I have access to some Daw's.
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  2. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I use both Ireal Pro and garageband

I like I real because I can write a chord chart out and add backing chords to the drums if I want and it's on my phone, more jazz friendly. If I am jamming, working something out our recording I use garageband, I can record a snippet and then find the best drum beat to fit and then go back and fine tune, it's more rock pop friendly...

I don't necessarily recommend these, I happen to already have them and put them to use.

3. Hawk600

Hawk600

Dec 19, 2015
    Nashua, NH
    Thank you and I am sorry, I forgot to mention that I need it for PC since I do not have a MAC :)

peterpalmieri likes this.
  4. You can buy a program like EZ Drummer; it has a whole library of beats, or you can make your own. Then just drop them into your DAW timeline, throw it on repeat, and jam away!

-Asdfgh- likes this.
  5. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    May be a bit off topic but I will also mention it, as it's no sophisticated stuff but took me some time to figure out how to have an efficient practice space.

I use a relatively cheap A&H zed mixer (under $300) which will USB 2 channels into garageband (you could use another program for PC). The mixer is also via USB the default audio player for my Imac. and the mixer has Hi Z inputs. I have decent but cheap studio monitors hooked up to it and it has a headphone out. So I can practice, listen to youtube or any audio file with some decent quality. I can play along, or I can record.

Having similar options will certainly make using whatever drum program you get simple and easy to use...

raal likes this.
  6. So you were reading this thread, too?

I was, and no, this suggestion is still not for a PC, but if you have an iphone, I just downloaded this for free: Keezy Drummer on the App Store

7. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    -Asdfgh- likes this.
  8. Hawk600

Hawk600

Dec 19, 2015
    Nashua, NH
    Great info guys, thank you! Luke19Boarder, that site is pretty cool, thanks, too bad it doesn't have samples or already made tracks.

9. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    Ableton

10. Hawk600

Hawk600

Dec 19, 2015
    Nashua, NH
    Ok I do have Ableton but unfortunately do not know how to create a drum machine as track. Do I need a VST plugin or Ableton comes with a basic one?

11. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    +1 EZ Drummer is great both for practicing and demo recording. Simple to use, sounds nice and it can swing better than some human drummers...

12. Bubby Brown

Bubby Brown Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2014
    None
    Not a pc format but thr boss dr 880 is pretty deep. Worth a look.

13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Steinberg has/had something similar, often packaged with Cubase. There are some free standalone packages out there too.

Programming your own beats is a good way to understand how drum beats are constructed.

Luke19Boarder likes this.
  14. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I'm considering putting together a live project that will require a lot of other percussion so EZ drummer might be a good space saving option and/or addition to the electronic kit :)

15. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    A warning on drum machines live... 2 hours before a gig our Alesis SR16 forgot all its patterns, followed by a tense period reprogramming everything in a DAW and recording it. The person whose drum machine it was didn't have a copy of the midi tracks with him and lived an hour's drive away. Backups options are useful.

For home practice a Boss or Alesis machine is great, and many multi effects pedals have basic drum machines in so something like an old Zoom B2, which can run on batteries, is a great portable practice tool.

(In the end we were playing when a tense soccer final was happening and no one was there!).

16. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    :)
    Just don't let the percussionists know the tip came from me...

17. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    I hate when it happens!

18. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I meant more keep the percussion and players but consider another way to lay down the 'bread-and-butter' drums. The project is likely to include a significant amount of automation relative to lighting effects and MIDI triggering so might necessitate a click track. I'd prefer a live drummer but good ones are probably the hardest group member to find.