1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drum Machine Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ba$$, Oct 6, 2017.

1. ba$$

ba$$

Jul 23, 2010
    AZ
    Hi all, I am not sure if this is the appropriate thread but I figured I'd give it a shot! (mods, please move if so)

I am seeking a drum machine to play along with at home. I am looking for something simple, with pre-stored beats ranging from rock, reggae, jazz, etc. I am not looking to program my own beats; I simply want something that will toggle through many various drum styles where I can adjust tempo.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something like this? Looking for something in a pedal or some kind of drum machine box form rather than something I download onto a computer.

Thanks so much!

2. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Beat Buddy. Don’t let the name put you off.

3. Digitech and Zoom multi effects have drum loops built in that cover a lot of styles

4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    There's the Vox Amplug Bass headphone amp too... It's got a variety of (pretty simple) beats built in that you can jam along with. Mooer also makes an inexpensive drum beat pedal - there are some very good demos of it on YouTube.

LowActionHero likes this.
  5. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Beat Buddy is the best answer, if slightly pricey.

6. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Beat buddy mini...no programming at all, simple to use and way cheaper than the full beat buddy. I'm selling one in the classifieds but you can get one new for less than a hundred bucks. I'd still be using it but opted to get a digitech sdrum so that I could create my own patterns.

7. Always the good old Alesis SR-16 and SR-18..

I have a Zoom B1on...and the preprogrammed drums are nothing to write home about. Doesn't go into Latin beats much or odd timing. Little in the way of 5/4 etc.

Most cheapo units are largely variations of 4/4 time with beats invented by Little Johnny from The Garage Band That Sucks.

Programming your own beats is the way to go really.

8. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    The Boss Dr Rhythm DR5 has a great library of song parts in all styles that can be used individually or stringed together. I think you can mute the instruments, or the beats are also preset separately. I don't remember. That's discontinued. I've had several, and it's good for jamming along to the preset music styles.

The Alesis SR16 is still being made, amazingly, because I had one over 20 years ago. I don't remember what the presets sounded like. I do know that the drums sounded more natural than the DR5, although with the DR5 you could program entire songs.

With both machines, you're able to program "swing" to give the beats a more natural swing. I never got the hang of that. It was frustrating. Most of my beats sounded very robotic. Nothing you have to worry about.

This was me back then jamming along to a beat I programmed on the Alesis. I overdubbed a second bass track:

Helix and ZenG like this.
  9. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    The Mooer Micro Drummer is what you have described. Great little tool. And cheap too.

Honch likes this.
  10. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    To circle back to the Beat Buddy again, I own the full and haven't played the Mini. The full has certain essential features that I couldn't live without, specifically MIDI and uploading new beats and drums, including user-defined/edited ones. If you don't need that, the Mini could potentially be a good solution. I might also look at the Digitech Trio in that situation.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    +1,000,000

$149 new, much less used

SR16.jpg

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Another plug for Beat Buddy. I think it's the best investment you can make in a beat box as you can use it live a lot more easily than other drum machines, it's pretty easy to navigate, and you can use it in ways you CAN'T use other machines (you can jam and play along putting in fills and changes wherever you want, with a tap of the foot). The sounds are also top notch. I have the original version, and loved the sounds, and I know they even upgraded them after that. I never updated my pedal because, well... I never use it :). Like many purchases I make, I get something, play with it for a while, and then it sits there forever. The "plus" here and reason I mention that is because if something sucks or I don't like it, I sell it immediately. I'm not letting go of my Beat Buddy.

Something else you might want to consider is a Casio keyboard. And don't laugh :). I always have one on hand. They're fun, they're dirt cheap, and they're GREAT for inspiration. All the beats (on most models with rhythm sections) have "intro-beat-variation-ending" and each patch has a different fill. Super simple stuff to use, and the beats sound pretty cool in recordings, too. Should mention that they're also always blowing out their older models (like every six months) and you can pick up something awesome for usually around $130.

Here are two songs I recorded in my bedroom, using beats from a Casio I'm pretty sure I only paid $100 for new (I used a 15% coupon as always with Musiciansfriend :)). The first one was COMPLETELY inspired by the Casio. I was just jammin along with beats. Would have never come up with it, without the Casio doin some weird sheiiiit.....

And now for something completely different:) --- Though I think you can tell it's the same drummer :).

Spectrum and Edmang like this.
  13. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    Get a decent digital keyboard, they all have great drum tracks loaded, hook it up to a practice amp, works like a charm... as a bonus you can teach yourself how to play piano! :cool: (that's what I did)

neuman likes this.
  14. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Beat buddy or Beat Buddy mini if you have no desire to ever midi sync with a looper.

15. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    There's lots of drum apps of varying levels of sophistication. Some are free, all are cheaper than any of the nice machines/pedals/keyboards mentioned above. I like Patterning.

I actually use my Roland BassCube's drum rhythms because it's so convenient.

16. gelinas666

gelinas666 Guest

Sep 8, 2009
    Boss DR-880. Tons of presets and the option of creating your own if you decide too go down that road..:thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Meghans Dad likes this.
  17. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    DigiTech and Zoom, you can even get a second hand KORG PANDORA PX5D which has simple patterns and chains. It's a multieffect but has decent enough bass rigs presets too. But actually, see if you can get hold of a second hand beat buddy. Doing drums with high enough fidelity today is a no brainer, and the ghost strokes, and dynamics too. Those small stomp boxes will do. I think even KORGS PANDORA STOMP will have it in spades. The PX5D is a "cassette tape" form factor of some sort.

18. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Otherwise DigiTech SDRUM. Follows the intensity of your playing...sort of...

Or like this, this one's better at it:

As opposed to Beat Buddy, this one senses your notes, and adjust fills and tempo after your notes, when leaning in...creates drum patterns based on scratches and strums across muted strings. Can't get simpler than that. Slightly cheaper than Beat-Buddy too. But only just so much.

But Mooer Micro with 11x11 rhythm patterns is the cheapest one. Will not set you back, and may be the "luxoury" metronome you're seeking.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    fretter likes this.
  19. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    The Alesis SR-16 has been around for at least 20 years. The sounds are HORRIBLE by today's standards. Something with better, more realistic sounds is going to be a lot more pleasant to play along with. And something with at least some sense of groove (both in terms of timing and dynamics) will give you a better base to work from.

john m and Honch like this.