1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drum Machine Recommendations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jim C, Mar 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jim C

Jim C Spector#496:More curves than Sophia + better sound Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I’m looking for a simple drum machine for simple recording projects as well as to use as a metronome for practice. I need at least one patch that sounds like real drums in a big room.
    For example,Bob Clearmountain production style in David Bowie’s Lets Dance.
    I’m thinking this might be either a sampler or something with an analog like sound.

I haven’t played with drum machines in at least 30 years but did like the Linn drum sound (you had to plug in chips back then for different sounds!)

Prefer used and inexpensive for this.
    Suggestions?

EDIT: When I say analog, I mean something that sounds like real drums and not the artificial sounds used in hip hop and the like

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i use the korg beat boy with the built in tuner, recorder, and od/distortion, because it only cost 49 dollars and if i need something better i can just use my macbook pro or new iphone 6s

kiwlm likes this.
  3. bassinflorida

bassinflorida turn that dang thing down

Jan 27, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Used the Alesis SR16 for years. Finally ran into its limitations. Later bought the Alesis SR-18. Personally think it would be tough to find one that sound significantly better, or even a better value. Unless you maybe are looking to use DAW drum software.

4. Michael B

Michael B Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Check out BeatBuddy.

5. Beat Buddy makes a Beat Buddy "Mini"...

6. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Maybe I didn’t find the right clips on BB and mini but the snare sounds close mic’d instead of a big room sound; I like the sound of a snare digital reverb set on room with a shortish decay
    or
    a drum set in a big rim that has decent acoustics

7. Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    There are no adjustments on it like that. The sounds are the sounds. Very flexible beats though as you can give it any midi.

8. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Thanks, I guess what I’ve learned is that I want a machine that has 1 patch can get close to old school rock drums with a big room sound like the old DMX or Linn.
    The flexible beats thing is very innovative but if I’m playing live, it will be with a drummer.

9. Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    I use it for practice. I hated the sounds and pattern edit of the 'best' machines out there.

10. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I loved the sound of my Alesis SR-16. Currently, I have BOSS Dr Rhythm DR-5, my second one. It's easy to forget how to program it, so it's just collecting dust now.

11. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Speaking of programming, how hard is the SR-16?
    Intuitive or baffling?

12. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    If you like a bit of control and don't mind a laptop/PC, there are plenty of DAWs out there that can support .vst plugins. Some free, some purchased, some a bit of both. *ahem*

I have a rad stereo hooked up in my little studio* from which I run an amazing little drum kit. Once established, it's simple: load up the program, load up the plugin, load up some pre-built scores; profit.

*my crap room in our three-person/four-bedroom that houses my equipment and assortment of LEDs

13. You can get a bunch of different drum kits for the Beat Buddy, some free, some for pay. There's a Linn kit and a Phil Collins kit that might work for you.

14. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Alexis SR 16. If I can program it anyone can. Worth every penny of the $150. They used to go for twice that.

15. Search for drum loop on YT. Quite a few are usable.

16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Beat Buddy!

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  17. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Beat Buddy

18. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Beat Buddy

19. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    And...last one...
    Beatbuddy

20. irjason

irjason

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    It's hard to go wrong with an SR-16.
    It's not bad at all. There are a couple of modes you can use if I recall, but I always did the one where your pattern plays and you hit the drum pad at the time you want it to play. Basically recording the beat. Found a good video that shows both ways to program better than I can describe.

I think the SR-18 is an updated 16 with slightly better sounds and some built in effects that may get you closer to what you're looking for.

gjohnson441496 likes this.