Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Drum Machine Software

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by steve2, Apr 13, 2002.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I am trying to find an easy to use drum machine software that I can download. I would rather it be a freeware. I have downloaded one called Hammerhead but I have not figured it out yet. The simplier to use the better.

Thanks

Steve

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hammerhead is already as simple as they get.
    Just your ordinary step-sequencer with the option of loading individual sounds. Hammerhead is quite ok, take some time to check it out.

There is hardly any freeware drum software around, at least for standalone use. There's a number for use in host programs like Cubase though.

3. SERIOUSLY!

Get FruityLoops. It is by far the easiest thing to program and you get TONS of goodies (softsynths, FX, example files, tutorials etc.) to get the creative juices flowing. It's step programming (click on an eigth note button to turn on the sample (drum say) and right click to turn off. It's THAT easy.

AND

If you're clever ;) then you can set up a track, record the output (Record WAVE on your card's input) to a WAV file ready to import to whatever sequencer you're using. Alternatively record direct into your sequencer. Match the BPM and BINGO!! You're off and running.

The free trial version of Fruityloops doesn't save files, but if you do what we're talking about above then you get all that anyway from your sequencer.

HOWEVER, Fruityloops is only about $50 to register, you get free upgrades for life, and it's pretty sexy. So go on, do your local developer a favour!!

:cool:

Mike

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, Fruity rocks, I'm really hoping for a VSTi version, that'd be cool.

5. LunarDave

LunarDave

Feb 5, 2002
    Leeds, UK
    Yep, I second Fruity Loops!
    Very easy to use, and loads of fun too!

6. I vote for fruityloops too ...
    I love it, because you can easily make it sound like real drums instead of the typical "machine gun sound" a drumcomputer produces. (especially with the high hats)

7. JMX - looks like your wish is about to be realised. Read in Computer Music mag that the next version of Fruity is going to be VSTi compatible.

:cool:

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    yeah, we've been waiting for some time.

But with Reason 2.0 to play around with... :D

9. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    One more vote for Fruityloops. Been using it for a while and absolutely LOVE this program. Even a beginner could figure it out. Sounds like this is your answer. Go check out Cakewalk.com...I don't think it's even all that expensive anymore.

Alex