1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drum Machine suggestion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The_Orlonater, Sep 10, 2008.

1. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
    Hey I'm looking for a good drum machine, I'd like to get different percussion sounds and I'd like to program it to play certain rythms and stuff. Also maybe some music, like playing 4 bars of this and 1 bar of that and so on.

My limit is $150 dollars...
    Ideas?

2. Zoom MRT-3B. Lacks a downbeat, but affordable.

3. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    At the risk of being a d*ck, use the Search - there are a ton of threads on the 'best drum machine'. Anyway, my vote would be for the Alesis SR-16. You can get a used one for $50 and it will do everything you need with some very realistic samples.

4. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 on the Alesis. Good affordable drum machine.

5. thekage

thekage

Jan 22, 2008
    Cape Girardeau MO
    I love my Boss Doctor Groove DR202. Ebay 35 bucks...

6. Depending on your requirements, you could download Hydrogen Drums and use it on your computer. You can get a heap of extra kits for it (although there is a trick to installing them under windows as they are tar.gz files).

Its quite simple and effective to use. Being free, the price is right too :)

If you physically need a drum machine though, its not going to help...

7. Thanks - I was hoping somebody would suggest that.

There were a few sizable threads just a few months ago, do a search and you'll find them.

8. TheDirtyMoocher

TheDirtyMoocher

Nov 11, 2004

...just sayin'

9. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    + another 1 for the Alesis SR-16.

10. DavidMP

DavidMP

May 8, 2006
    Alberta, Canada
    Care to elaborate? I have been thinking about getting one for practise purposes.

11. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Check out the old (discontinued) Boss DR-5. Has a 1/4 input for a self contained practice setup. Drums & keyboard sounds allow you to compose & practice playing over changes, etc.