1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Drum machine to mixer to speaker?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zeppfan90, May 2, 2015.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    I have a harbinger pa speaker, harbinger lvl series 5 channel compact mixer, and an akai xr 20 drum machine. Vocals work, drum machine doesnt work through the mixer, speaker, or even my amp but I cannot figure out why. Please help lol thanks!

2. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Have you tried different cables?
    Are you using the correct output on the drum machine? Does it have a variable out or a volume control?
    Does it have/work with headphones?

3. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    I don't have any headphones. I am sure it would work them though. I think the problem may be the speaker? Depending on how I plug in i can hear the drum machine real low. When i turn up the speaker the feedback gets higher, not the drum machine. I am having problems with the mixer as well. Fml lol

4. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Check for a mic/line switch on the mixer and make sure you're plugging into a line input.

5. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

That drum machine has stereo outputs that are effectively 2 quarter inch mono outputs. Use a quarter inch TS cable from the left out two the left in probably Channel 4 on the mixer and then another TS cable from the right out to the right in most likely Channel 5 on that mixer.

There is also a volume control on the back of that drum machine. Since you state that the vocals work through the mixer I'm assuming your vocals are going into the XLR port. On the four five balance knob said it directly Center and adjust your level as you see fit.

Assuming The Harbinger PA speaker you were talking about as a powered speaker and I have to make that assumption because you say you vocals work. Since locals are working we can eliminate the speaker is being the problem. I believe in your follow-up post you said the you even tried connecting the drum machine directly to the speaker and it didn't work. With the speaker working with microphone like I said you can eliminate the speaker being the problem. You can test the microphone assuming it is a dynamic microphone using an XLR two TS cable or adapter and matching cable two either channel 3 or 5 on your mixer if you can get sound out of it that way you have eliminated the mixer has the problem. That would leave the cable connections and the drum machine has being the sources of the problem.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017