Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

drum machine

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blong1, Feb 1, 2001.

1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    i am in the market for a good drum machine. looking to spend no more than $250.00. i don't know that much about them but i would like to have one with bass loops and guitar loops (if they make 'em that way), as well as preset drum loops. anyone got any suggestions on what to get? if you do, can you tell me a little about it? thanks.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    If you don't mind looking around for used stuff, see if you can find a Boss DR-5. They list for ~$450-500 new, and I've seen them under $300 used, in good condition and with all the goodies (manual, video, a/c adapter). Great choice for doing all kinds of cool stuff, I've even seen a guy use one on a solo guitar/vocal gig, and it didn't suck too bad. In addition to being a really GREAT drum machine, it has the ability to sequence bass parts, keyboard parts, psuedo guitar parts, percussion stuff, and doubles as a fair headphone practice amp too. There are 200 preset patterns (drums + various other stuff), and room for 200 more patterns that you can write yourself. It'll even track your bass so you can input single note lines into the sequencer by actually playing them, or you can use it as a "poor man's" bass synth.

3. I'm guessing that maybe you have a computer, since you are posting here! I don't imagine you have a synthesizer already with some good drum sounds on it? If you do, there is an alternative to a drum machine.

I do all my 'drum machine' type duties with my PC, a synthesizer and a sequencing program. There are lots of good progams out there that are cheaper than buying a separate drum machine. Of course, if you don't already have a computer and synthesizer (or sound module), a drum machine will be much cheaper of course.

If you have those things already, you'll save money going the computer route and it will be a lot easier to program. It won't be very poratable, however, if that is important.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Check out the Zoom 123 or 234 models. I've had a chance to fool around with them, and they seem to be pretty decent for their price. The 234 (the "better" model) is under $300 I'm pretty sure. American Music Supply and Sam Ash carry both, I'm pretty sure.

5. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I've got a Zoom 123 and I really like it. My only problem is that I'm not a very good drummer, even with just two fingers! :D

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The Dr-5 is good but as is the case with a lot of Roland products,the learning curve before you can get the most out of it is pretty steep.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Agreed, which is why you should get the video. It's a huge help in getting up to speed. Worth the extra bux if it's not included, and easily available from Boss/Roland.

8. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    You might be able to find a used Roland R-8 in that price range. The sounds are awesome, and there is a really cool "human feel" component to the sequencer. I use an R-8m (the module version, no sequencer) in my electronic music project and I love it...