1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Drum Machine

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Clef_de_fa, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    I know check what was already said.

Well I wanted to know what you use as drum machine like now in 2017.

So far I used the drum from my BOSS loop station, but it is super limited and well ... not that great but can give some ideas. I also foolishly bought a Beat Step Pro and a Nord Synth Drum 3P earlier this year. While it sounds great, it is also limited, the Nord can only give 6 sounds and I never use the pads to play.

I just sometimes want a beat and jam to it. I want to be able to make a metal beat ( like double bass drum ) etc

So far I think the Drumbrute it is kinda like and maybe the Alesis SR18 or maybe the Beat Buddy ...

Discuss

Novarocker likes this.
  2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I use an old Roland TR-505 for straight drum sounds that I can spice up with reverb when desired. I use a Zoom MRT-3B and an Akai XR20 for serious variety and for editing my own ideal drum sounds. I also use an Akai MPX16 as a sampler which I sequence with the TR-505. With the sampler, I can have any drum or percussion sound I want.

3. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue

Oct 9, 2016
    At present, I use either a GameBoy running LSDj, a few Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators, or a microphone to beatbox into my looper.

To my mind, a good drum machine should be portable, versatile, able to save lots of tracks, able to play in multiple time signatures without hassle, and easy to play live in the moment. Still waiting for such a device to get out of my dreams and into my plane of reality.

--^@

Novarocker likes this.
  4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    Thanks I'll check those out tonight

5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    if you're using it for metal beats, have you considered EZ Drummer software?

6. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    DR-770, Pocket Operator, EZ Drummer here.

7. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    FunWithBass likes this.
  8. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    There are drum videos all over YouTube. Search by style and bpm and something is bound to pop up.

9. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    So far I think the Beat Buddy was what I wanted.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Beat Buddy if you want something you can optionally incorporate into a performance.

If you just want what I think of as a "super metronome" for practice or jamming, I like the Mooer Micro Drummer. It's biggest virtue is simplicity.

11. I bought Steven Slate drums, the cheap version, watched a ton of videos on YouTube and learned how to program midi drums. You can even take your looper and record drum beats you’ve created I did that for a while with the jamman stereo.

12. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    quite insteresting

13. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    Right now I jam with a Boss RC20 and thought of doing something like that but at the same time it isn't very important